| 9 | I Sure Do Love These Silly Little Titles

Words: 1764
Date published: 10.31.22

- not proof-read -

double update because Halloween :D

The man didn't release you, even with the sudden and threatening presence of a government official. The room was silent for a moment before Golden Guard spoke slowly. His voice was quiet and cold, but still had a threatening aura that would make grown men cower. "What is going on here?"

The man was frozen. He didn't say a word, but his grip on your shoulder tightened suddenly, causing you to squeak.

Golden Guard slowly stepped into the room, his heels clicking on the wooden floorboard. Without removing his gaze from the man, he leaned back on the door to shut it before taking a couple more steps forward. "Let's try that again," Golden Guard said. "What is going on here?"

Golden Guard was only met with silence. "Alright... we can do it your way..." The next thing you knew, he had come between you and the man and attacked him, knocking him back. He stumbled and fell to the ground. As Golden Guard walked toward him, he scrambled backward.

"Please... I won't do it again..." he whimpered.

Golden Guard said something to him that you couldn't quite catch before sending him out the door. He closed the door and locked it before turning around. "Are you okay, Y/N?"

"U-um... yeah, I-"

He ran up to you and embraced you, which was never something Hunter would be able to do. He's totally different behind the mask...

You wrapped your arms around him tightly, letting his breathing calm your nerves before stepping back. "You should go back to the crew before people get worried," Golden Guard said.

"Yeah, you're right... But I came here looking for apple blood," you explained.

"Oh!" He reached a cabinet hanging above a desk and pulled out a couple of cases of apple blood, handing them to you. "Here you go," he said. You were almost out the door before he called your name again. "Stay safe, okay?" You smiled and nodded before returning to the group.

/// /// ///

The ship continued on, entering into a fog so thick you couldn't even see the opposite end of the deck. Your skin prickled and you shivered as a chill ran down your spine.

"We're here... The Shimmering Shoals. Eyes peeled, mates," the captain ordered. You watched with morbid curiosity as a crew member pulled their eyelids back and tied them around his head.

A feeling of solemnity fell across the crew and you came up behind the human girl to see what it was about. Crew members removed their caps out of respect for the flaming ship we were passing.

"She's close," the captain declared just seconds before something hit the side of the boat, knocking everyone off balance. You gripped a pull to avoid falling just as the human girl gripped the railing.

"She's here!" the human announced, eyeing something in the water.

Harpoons rained down on the beast, but the beast retaliated and a flurry of spikes were shot at the crew. You dropped to the ground to avoid getting hit, narrowly missing a spike.

You jumped back up, about to restrain the beast with plants, but the human stood on the railing, and with a piece of paper... did magic.

You stared in awe, mouth hung open. The rumors were true. The human can do magic. It wasn't just mediocre magic, either. She was strong.