| 11 | His Heart Shattered And The Light Vanished From His Eyes

Words: 1459
Date published: 1/6/2023

- not proof-read -

There was a knock at your door that startled you, causing the pencil lead to break on the page. "Who is it?"

"Kikimora, Y/N. I have a delivery!" What the fuck is that gremlin going on about..?

You opened the door and she held out a small box. "What's this?" you asked, taking the box from her. It wasn't too fancy, but it was still made out of a polished deep-red wood and tied with a golden ribbon.

"It's officially been 3 months since you first achieved your last rank, and Emperor Belos sent me to give you your gift basket!"

"Gift basket?"

"Oh? You don't know? If you maintain a rank for 3 months, you get a gift basket according to your rank. The higher the rank, the better the basket. It's... sort of a way of giving gratitude and providing hospitality."

"Oh... thank you, Kikimora," you said, for once sounding genuine.

"Umm... you're welcome!"

/// /// ///

It was your last day with him and he had no idea.

"Oh, I have to get ready for tonight's mission soon." You stiffened at Hunter's sudden words. Don't cry. Don't cry. Don't cry.

"Oh, okay!" Save it until he's gone. Save it until he's gone.

He got up to leave, but before he could, you tackled him in a hug so tight he couldn't breathe. You refused to let him go until he began to panic. You hastily stepped back. "Goodbye, Hunter," you said, praying that he wouldn't pick up on the strain to keep your voice from cracking.

"See ya later, Second Place." No, you won't, you thought bitterly, maintaining a forced smile until the door latched shut and everything fell apart.

/// /// ///

You had exhausted yourself with tears when a knock was heard upon your door. "Enter," you said with no emotion. You knew it was Steve. And you knew why he was here. It was already time.

"Now, as stated before, Belos can feel large amounts of magic use as almost a sixth sense, so a portal would be a bad move. You won't be able to take a coven-issued staff as they have tracking devices that activate when flown. So you'll need a combination of spells and stealth to sneak across the castle grounds and into the surrounding forest. From there, you'll go straight through and to one of the back alleys of Bonesborough.

"You'll want to follow the streets heading towards the coast, as that's where your destination lies. And remember to have my post notifications turned on because I won't be posting anything until they notice you're missing. That'll be your signal to stay extra alert. Take this pin to disguise your identity."

You took the pin from him and clipped it onto the collar of your shirt, instantly changing every feature of your appearance. Steve gave you a thumbs-up and you slid the letter into an envelope. "Wish me luck..." you said. "This stunt won't be easy."

You stood on the ledge of the window, steadying your breath. You couldn't fly because that would send a signal and arise suspicion. This was the best way. "You got this," Steve said from behind you.

"Three..." You inched closer to the ledge, gripping the staff tightly. Your head spun at the dizzying drop below.

"Two..." You turned around so that you were facing the inside of your room, your back to the vast openness beyond your window.