Chapter Seven

"Yes, I'm thinking of him."

My whole body was shaking

My whole body was shaking. My brain was  malfunctioning and beads of sweat lined my neck, forehead and hands. My fingers itched at my skirt and foreboding skittered through me. 

The walk seemed so long, the anticipation nerve wrecking and I had to bite my lower lip from screaming in anxiousness.

This, ladies and gentlemen, was what it looked like when you ran out of your workplace and not to mention when your boss had specifically called you. 

I didn't know whether to pat myself on the back for my boldness or kick myself for my shamelessness. 

The plaque on the dark brown door was shiny and polished bearing the name of the man I had to convince to let me stay and not fire me. I barely spared a glance around me and knocked on the door with more force than necessary. 

“Come in.”

I let out a rattling breath that seemed to echo through every pore of me before I swung the door open and walked inside Mr. Lussac’s office. I had never been here but it was very pretty. Brown, beige and black hues dominated the room. A dark black bookcase, a huge monitor, a floor-to-ceiling window and of course as it was a florist company, a huge vase of chocolate calla lilies were showcased around the room.

“Ms. Caldemon,” The odd monotone of his voice was cold and void of the usual warmth I received. Mr. Lussac, stood up from his desk and gestured to the seat in front of him.

My legs threatened to slip from underneath but I managed to slip into the chair, my fingers anxiously kneading themselves into knots and my leg bouncing with nerves. 

“Is it true that you left the premises without signing out and didn't attend yesterday’s meeting?” 

My hand crept up to fix my glasses even though it didn't need fixing. Mr. Lussac’s eyes bored into mine, daring me to lie. But I didn't want to lie, I wasn't even trying to. I’ve had enough of lying and trying not to end up knee deep in the mess I created.

“I did, Sir.” 

Mr. Lussac’s eyes narrowed further and my fingers rolled into a tight fist, my heels digging into the lacquered wood that probably cost him more than my entire life.

“And you have nothing to say for yourself?” 

This-this was when I was gonna tell him the truth. Mrs. Winston had told him I was capable and good with all the things I didn't know. And I was so desperate that I thought it wouldn't be so hard and I'd get it eventually. Yet, it wasn't as easy as I had thought.

“Mr. Lussac, you hired me because you thought I was an eligible employee and someone who could lead presentations and meetings on the stock markets and finance departments. But I’m sorry to say that I’m not that person.”