Chapter Nine

"The more you let go, higher you rise."

Aloura walked by my side as we made our way to the grey and cream house that matched the others on the street except for the gilted number shining on its door, #36

It was so simple but it felt so full of life and I stopped walking, just wondering how lovely it would be to live in a house like this again. The lawn was fresh and green blades of grass were neatly mowed as they billowed to the wind's silent song. Two flower beds consisting of pink peonies, red tulips, white roses and yellow buttercups grew on the sides of the porch.

"Mommy, are you okay? Why did we stop?"

I shook my head, coming out of the memories of a woman tending to her garden with the greatest care and how I would help her carry her herbs inside.

The memory of a life that I no longer lived.

"Nothing sweetie. Are you sure you want to go? We can go home and watch a movie if you want too. I don't want you to be uncomfortable."

Aloura shook her head, her short hair bobbing to her action as her bright brown eyes looked at the house with interest, fascination but also fear. "No, I wanna go. I wanna make a friend!"

My smile loosened and I tried not to think to much about the statement that expressed how Aloura felt lonely because I didn't have the money to send her to school. The money or the guts to let her out of my sight.

Failure. That's what you are and will ever be from now on!

"Mommy?" Aloura asked as I stood up and looked at the house, my nerves getting the best of me. "Hmm?"

"Do you want to go in? You look scared. We can go home if you want. I don't mind." Aloura said as she looked at me, not knowing the love she had conjured inside me to chase the insecurities away; because if my daughter wanted something, not even my insecurities could stop me from giving it to her.

"I'll always go where you want to go, Aloura. I'll never leave you behind." I squeezed her hand as a large smile broke out on her face which made my lips curve upwards too.

"Then let's go!"

I chuckled and we resumed making our way to Mrs. Winston's house where she had invited us the day prior. I knew I was overreacting but I felt scared. Not just about meeting Mrs. Winston's family but also for Aloura.

I hadn't socialized in a long time. I didn't want to eithee. The last time I thought I had steady friends; it turned out to be the biggest mistake I ever committed because they stripped me bare, leeching on my secrets.

And this was Aloura's first time meeting someone other than Mrs. Winston, Clara and her doctor. She'd never really interacted with kids her age because I was to paranoid about her cracking her bones playing outside or getting kidnapped.