Chapter Twelve

TRIGGER WARNING!!!
This chapter contains violence. Please be cautious and read at you own risk.

•••

"Being able to survive doesn't mean that it was ever okay."

“Promise to call if anything happens?" 

Elijah sighed as he rolled his eyes in irritation but the smile on his lips considerably widened. I smiled gratefully at him before making my way to the sleeping Aloura and slowly kissing her hand and hair. 

It had been a day and half since she was here. Aloura didn't wake up until Sunday morning and she was confused and disoriented but thankfully she hadn't lost her memories and was fine. 

I don't think I've ever felt as relieved and happy as I did then, engulfing her in my arms and assuring myself that she was okay and so was I. 

Aloura had cracked her ankle bone because of her Osteogenesis Imperfecta and there was no surgery, thankfully. Her forehead was stitched and fortunately, there was no internal bleeding or damage. 

My daughter was fine and my heart restarted once more. 

"She's not gonna go anywhere. Go to work, Mama Bear. I'm here." Elijah said as he stood in front of me with a tender smile. 

I smiled back and I felt the weird sensation of something growing every time Elijah looked at me like that. That soft gentle smile emasculated my defenses that I hadn't even known were slowly disintegrating. Flocks of butterflies unleashed in my tummy and encompassed me whole. 

"I know, which is why I'm going anywhere at all. I trust you." 

I didn't realize what I had said until after I finished my sentence and fell quiet. All my life I had tried to keep myself away and safe from others, showing them a bit of my cheerful side. 

After I became pregnant, I knew that the little part of me that I showed to others had burned away leaving nothing but embers of abandonment. 

The only person who I trusted was Aloura. When had I even let Elijah come inside and burrow a hole into my trust? I barely spoke to anyone, let alone drop me to my house or take care of my daughter while I went to work!

 I barely trusted anyone around Aloura! How had Elijah infiltrated me so easily? And why did I not feel scared at the notion? 

Elijah must have seen the conflict on my face because he lifted his hand and tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear, his lithe fingers cutting through my skin leaving a scorch of heat in its wake. 

"Go, I don't want you to lose your job-which you won't-but you'll get a little you-time."

After that he leaned down and pressed a tiny chaste kiss on the top of my hair and my eyes opened wide. Aloura was stirring awake but all I could was stand there, Elijah's kiss marking me speechless and still.