Chapter Eleven

"A mother's love doesn't set with the sun. It blankets you all through the night."

If you ever need someone, we're only a call away

If you ever need someone, we're only a call away." Auriana told me with a smile as Sashal nodded in agreement.

"I live here now, so feel free to drop by whenever you want. It was a pleasure meeting you."

I thanked them and withheld tears as Auriana hugged me tight. I waved goodbye after hugging Mrs. Winston who whispered that she'd see in a few days as she was going with Elvis's house for a few days.

I nodded and clasped Aloura's hands as she waved goodbye to her friends. Lila was pouting sadly as she waved and Archer was sneakily stuffing a piece of crumb cake in his mouth, his other hand waving to Aloura.

As I said my final goodbyes my eyes strayed to Elijah who was talking to Damian. It looked as though they were discussing something important. I looked away before my heart could fracture further.

I refrained from thinking about how Elijah's eyebrows had scrunched and the expression was so similar to the ones of my friends and family when I had told them about Aloura.

I thought Elijah was an ally. I never thought he'd judge me and it saddened me further. That face would remain in my head for some time, I thought grimly as Aloura and I walked down the quiet road.

I was so immersed in my thoughts wondering why I always got so shunned, that I hadn't noticed the huge rock obstructing Aloura's path until she tumbled down with a scream.

I watched in horror as a crack elicited from her leg and her forehead split open as her forehead bounced off the sharp edge of the rock.

"Aloura!"

I don't know how the Earth didn't fracture under me because I screamed the loudest I ever had. It was like watching a murder scene and I couldn't go and save Aloura in time.

All I could do was watch the crimson blood pour out of her cut and her tears as I heaved her into my arms. Her beautiful eyes filled with tears as she whimpered in pain.

All the concerns, all the troubles, all the disappointments vanished to replace it with pure unadulterated trepidation as I tried to reach for my phone as my life cried in my arms.

I was trembling and my eyes were bursting with haze like my brain couldn't process what to do.

I don't remember how Elijah showed up then. I don't remember how quickly I recognized it was his voice who cursed and took out his phone to dial 911. I don't remember when the ambulance arrived. I don't remember when I had started crying and the nurses told me I was scaring Aloura.

I didn't want to remember her falling over and screaming, her eyes trained on me like I could have prevented it. My brain refused to let that moment go.