Epilogue

"You are the star to my endless night." ~ By me ;)

Ten years later

Ten years later

The backyard was filling up. My eyes roamed over the trees that were festooned with banners and small trinkets of shining globes that suspiciously looked like christmas baubles.

My lips lifted for a second as I pictured Mom shaking her hand at Dad-who had put the christmas decorations up- who'd probably shrug and give her his goofy grin to which she would just roll her eyes.

She'd have told him to decorate the backyard and he'd probably remembered it last minute and took the Christmas decorations and strung them around.

Yet as soon as the picture played in my mind, my eyes caught sight of another stream of people coming in and my gut clenched. My knees tingled and I turned away from the window with a nervous gulp.

I could almost feel my bones shaking and I sighed deeply trying to focus on me and not the anxiety that flitted through me when I saw all those people. All those people who would be looking at me when I went down there.

I gritted my teeth and hobbled to my chair and picked up the card that my Father-Josiah- had sent.

As much as it was weird to have two dads-one who left my mom and one who loved her till death-it was relatively okay. My mother was the best and she never stopped me from meeting my real father who was an active traveler and was barely here.

Josiah, whom I called Father, took me out whenever he was in town which wasn't a lot but it was fun. But Elijah-whom I called Dad was the one I really looked up to. He had his own restaurant and he was so inspiring. He was Mom's rock and mine too.

The letter or postcard to be exact from Father showed an underwater waterfall in Mauritius. I marveled at the picture again before reading the small writing at the bottom,

Happy 15th Loura! Missing you. Love from Mauritius. Three more years and I can finally convince your mother to take you with me. Anyway, have a wonderful day.
~Josiah

I snorted at the sentence. As if Mom would let me go even if I were eighteen. She was fiercely protective of me and I knew it was because of my condition of brittle bones. She'd still stress over everything when I asked her to go on a field trip or meet my friends outside.

But I loved her more than anything in my life and that was the reason I had actually agreed to have this big party. She'd come up before dinner and stood in the doorway, her eyes big and shining.

"Elijah had an idea for your birthday next week." Mom said as I slowly put my pencil down and nodded at her to go on.

"He suggested inviting everyone over and celebrating! Wouldn't that be fun? Of course, not just family you could invite your friends too, if you want. It's been so long seeing everyone but only if you want to, Aloura."