Chapter Nineteen

"My heart is perfect because you are inside it."

I dropped down onto the couch and sighed deeply

I dropped down onto the couch and sighed deeply. The air rattled from my lungs all the way outside of my nostrils. I closed my eyes and just breathed. My mind was finally at peace after hearing Aloura's tantrums for an hour. It was finally quiet.

I smiled at the silence and welcomed it like an old friend. When one lived with a kid you learned to appreciate silence better than before and right now, it was just glorious.

I picked up my phone from the purse which I had discarded on the couch and snuggled in the cushions feeling a sense of contentment and a unique kind of happiness that came from within.

When I turned it on, I couldn't stop my smile from spreading when I saw Elijah had texted me five times over the course of three hours.

Elijah: Hey. How's Josiah and Aloura? Call me when you're back.

Elijah: I miss you. Call me as soon as you're back.

Elijah: I saw someone who picked out their tomatoes and I thought of you. Still thinking of you.

Elijah: You know, I should have just come with you. Derek's about to bang his head on the stove because I'm so distracted.

Elijah: I hope you both-Aloura and yourself-are safe. Call me when you're home. And don't have too much fun, I can beat Josiah anytime.

I couldn't stifle the laugh as I read over his texts and felt my heart ache with happiness and so much gratitude that it hurt. It hurt how much I had grown to liked Elijah and cherished his presence in my life.

The fact that I never told him I didn't like tomatoes and he ended up observing it made me feel like I was some princess who finally getting the happily ever after she wanted.

I couldn't type for a few seconds because this feeling, this buoyancy of endless exhilaration coursing through me was making me light headed and sentimental.

I had gotten so far and I was so proud of myself and now that my problems were currently taking a backseat, I thought about Elijah. What did I feel for him? Why did I feel like nothing else mattered except his opinions? Why did I get an entire flock of butterflies tumbling in my stomach when he smiled at me?

Why did I feel like I could accomplish anything when he was by my side? Was this...Was this the feeling of love? Was this how love felt like?

I didn't know much about love. My parents were an arranged marriage couple and they liked to stay out of each other's hair. They bonded over trying to be the perfect family and held their kids under a tight leash.

I wondered sometimes about where my brother and my sister were and sometimes-like now-I felt sad. All we three had ever seen was how to be proper and prim. We never learned to have fun and enjoy ourselves. It simply wasn't done as said by my parents. If we wanted to survive, we needed money and a name for ourselves.