Chapter Eighteen

"Even when my soul if tired, I will always find strength for my child because no matter what happens, they come first. Always."

Aloura skipped beside me, humming under her breath as we walked on the concrete

Aloura skipped beside me, humming under her breath as we walked on the concrete. The trees and leaves swayed with the wind around us, sighing with a sense of tranquility. The air was just the right amount of cool-which was a blessing-and the sun was out, its beams of light heating my face.

I was nervous but excited. Conflicted but sure. Angry but happy. I didn't know whether I was doing the right thing but I did say I wasn't going to be someone who isolated Aloura. I always told myself, if there was a chance then I would do it, for Aloura.

"Mommy?"

"Yes, sweetie?" I asked her, helping her jump over a twig. Aloura grinned and looked up at me and I was struck by how cute she was and how much I loved her.

She was the only light when I was at the deepest pits of life. Yes, she was the cause of endless, sleepless nights but I think the happiness and joy she carried was more than enough. She'd cry through the entire night, but one smile from her the next day and all my anger would disappear. That was when I learned how strong and relentless a mother's love could be

"Is your friend here yet?" Aloura questioned as she looked in awe at a butterfly that flew past her.

I clenched my fingers around her hand and looked around the park, some part of me hoping he was here and the other part of me, hoping he wasn't so I could go back home.

As my eyes took in the sandbox with kids playing and shrieking with laughter, I saw him just as he saw me. He was sitting behind the huge twisted slide, his eyes distant like he had been thinking. The moment he saw me, he stiffened and then got up unsteadily.

I held my breath and immediately looked at Aloura but she was still watching the butterfly's line of flight. She, after all, was just a child and she wouldn't think it was strange to meet another one of her mother's friends.

But little did she know, this friend was her father.

Josiah's every step had me itching to run. All my motherly instincts roared at me to take Aloura away, to keep her away from this man, but I couldn't. That was purely selfish and I promised Josiah.

Josiah had changed. He was a better man than he was before and even if I couldn't see it, I could feel it. He was undisputedly sorry that day and I couldn't find a good enough reason to not let him see his daughter.

He abandoned her, yes but who would want to become a father so early? People handle stress in all kinds of situations and I understood that. I myself had run away from my parents. Everyone had times where they needed to get away.

So after sitting dumbstruck in the restaurant for a while as Elijah and Josiah got into a screaming match, I had stood up, silencing them both.

I had looked Josiah in the eye and in the calmest and strenest voice I could muster, I granted him that last wish of his.