Chapter Sixteen

"Confidence breeds beauty which is in everything but not everyone can see it."

Josiah rolled the bowling ball down the smooth polished wood emanating a soft sound before it crashed into the pins and took all ten out

Derek let out a click of his tongue as the board displayed all our rounds were up. "Where'd you learn to bowl like that? Do they have bowling alleys in the city?" 

Josiah chuckled at his brother's question and flicked a piece of hair from his eyes with a smirk. "Nah, I'm just a professional at everything I do."

I rolled my eyes and Derek did the same as we headed out for the arcade to go and head down to the new restaurant I'd wanted to try. The night was cool and the sky was lit with the faint grey light of the moon as it dimly blazed like pinpricks of sodden embers. 

"So is Alyssa coming?" Derek asked me as we walked down the road.

I shrugged and looked at my phone searching for any new notifications from her but there were none at all. I shook my head and tried not to feel anxious.

She was acting strange. When I told her Derek's last name she went all silent and then hung up. I didn't know what to think. She told me she'd think about coming and text me later but I hadn't received a reply yet. 

I really did want her to come, it had been so long seeing her face. The restaurant was pretty busy this week and it had taken all the staff, including myself to keep up. 

I had even sent Alyssa the address of the place we were heading to-incase she changed her mind last minute-but it was still unread. I tried not to think about what she was doing or if she was in trouble. 

Toby was behind the bars as of now and my friend had made sure to give Toby a very long time to think and reflect on his ignoble actions. He wouldn't be getting out of that island prison anytime soon. 

"Who's Alyssa?" Josiah asked with a raised eyebrow. "Your girlfriend?"

I wish

Derek laughed at my face and I shook my head even though my brain and heart jumped at the sound of that. Alyssa, my girlfriend. 

Gosh, that sounded so good to me but sadly, that wasn't the case. I knew she liked me to some extent but I didn't know if she liked me-liked me. 

The kind of like that gave you butterflies and sent your heart racing. It sent your thoughts scattering except for the ones where you noticed everything about the other person. For me it did. But for her I had no idea.

"No. She's just a friend. We invited her to come but I'm not sure she will."

"Why?" 

I shrugged, "She has a kid so it's hard for her to make time. She's been wanting to meet Derek but there's been a lot on her plate."