01

NINA

Consultation with Theo Ferreira confirmed for two pm.

I closed the email, letting out a heavy sigh while I tapped my foot impatiently. With my hand on my hip and my eyes fixated on Cheryl's kids, I dialled her number.

"Steel," I whisper-yelled, scolding the boy who had just snatched a toy truck from his baby brothers arms. I glared at him, and his smug expression morphed into one of distaste as the toddler glared back.

Fucking kids.

Full heartedly, they left me wanting to rip the hair out of my head majority of the time. Thankfully, receiving a fresh tattoo was a shameless stress-reliever that I had no problem indulging in. And I was about to indulge—if Cheryl returned back to her kids and allowed me to make it to my appointment on time.

I took a deep breath in, hearing the call ring on and on until it reached voicemail.

"Bitch," I whispered, trying again. Cheryl was sloppy with her schedule, and often forgot that I was only there to look after her kids for the allocated time she had given me.

Which had ended almost an hour ago.

"Bitch!" Steel whispered, grinning at me.

I gasped, pointing a finger at him. "Say that again and I'm telling your grandmother."

Quickly, the little boy's face faltered. Threatening to tell his mother never worked—but the boy loved his grandma and I took advantage of that knowledge. Of course.

"Nina!" Cheryl chirped, and I felt relief that she even bothered to answer. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah," I answered, gently wiping her baby's sticky face with a wet rag. Chase was a year old, and one of the bubbliest kids I'd ever met. I loved him and Steel—but their mom was not my favourite. I smiled at him, giving him a small pat on his chubby cheek.

"Are you close? I'm about to be late for my appointment."

She was supposed to be home twenty minutes ago and prior to that, she was supposed to be home thirty minutes ago. My lips pressed together, an attempt at stopping myself from lashing out on her when she feigned a gasp.

I swear if she didn't pay as well as she did...

"Oh, right!" she muttered. "Your appointment. What's it for again?"

I grit my teeth, feeling my hand tighten around my phone. "My tattoo."

"Tattoo?" she repeated, laughing slightly. "You're acting as if it's the end of the world."

"Cheryl," I stated. "I waited three weeks for this. If I'm late, I'll have to wait again."

I could imagine the roll of her eyes.

"Just find another place," she offered, and it wasn't in the least bit helpful. "I don't understand the issue. You're being paid by the hour. What are you complaining for?"

What am I complaining for?

"I adore Steel and Chase. I really do," I started, picking up the scattered toys and placing it in the box. "But if you're not home in five minutes, I'm calling the cops and leaving your kids unsupervised in the meantime."

Of course, my morality would never let me do that. I wouldn't be able to rest, but Cheryl hardly knew me and judging from the dramatic gasp she let out, she believed me.

"You can't do that," she scolded. "All this for a tattoo? You'll leave my kids alone for a tattoo?"

"It's not about the tattoo," Okay, perhaps it was. "This is about you not respecting our agreement. You said you'll be home an hour ago, didn't you?"