41

NINA

I stared at the papers sprawled along the coffee table, accepting defeat as I lost all hope for myself. There was no way I was going to complete that assignment. Or get even close to completing it.

Resting my chin in the palm of my hand, I pursed my lips as the reality sunk in.

I've been slacking in school, and it was starting to show. I couldn't understand the work—no matter how hard I tried. I should have paid attention. It was too late for that and I was tempted to call it quits right there. How did I fuck up this badly? I missed a couple of classes and it suddenly seemed as if I've been skipping for the past year.

I breathed out a sigh, staring at the formulas with a blank look. Nothing.

My textbook was open—along with my computer and my notebook but nothing could help me. It was frustrating and I groaned out loud, resting my face in my hands. All I wanted to do was call up Theo, and have him comfort me and that was exactly my issue.

I'm obsessed with him, and that was my problem.

How am I supposed to do anything if all I wanted was to be in his presence? It was a good thing he left for the day, or else I'd have been within cuddles and having a nap instead of torturing myself with chemistry. Stop it. I needed to get my shit together and I straightened my back, ready to tackle my assignment again.

Just as I was about to start working on a problem, I heard the front door open and Theo entered.

"Hi, baby," he said, grinning at me as he hung up his jacket and helmet. He looked tired, but his smile never failed to brighten up his face.

"Hey," I said, smiling as I rummaged through my pencil case for a pencil and eraser.

One way or another, I was going to finish it. Even if there was possibility I might fail, I needed to try at least. I really hope I don't fail. With Theo graduating soon, the last thing I needed was a setback.

"Working hard?" Theo asked, resting his forearms on the counter.

I set the pencil down, wanting to talk to Theo for a few minutes. Only a few minutes.

"Trying," I murmured, watching as he walked over and sat on the floor with me. I smiled softly, relieved for the break. I'd been trying for two hours straight, completely unmoving and I was grateful for the distraction.

It was a breath of fresh air—but really all it did was make me realise how I'd rather do anything except my assignment.

"Good girl," he whispered, taking my hand in his. He rubbed my palm with his fingertips, allowing it to soothe my entire body with just a mere touch.

A massage on the hand had never felt that good. He just knows. I leaned over, giving him a kiss on the lips as a silent thank you.

He smiled, but I'd known Theo long enough to see that he had something on his mind.

"What's wrong?" I asked, frowning as he stared down at the lines he traced on my palm. I didn't want him to stop, but I needed to know what bothered him. There was an unreadable expression on his face and for a second it concerned me.

"I won't keep you long," he said, his voice soft as he looked up at me. "I know you're busy."

What the hell? Immediately, I started over-thinking. I thought about everything that could possibly be said. I didn't want to, but I couldn't control it and I needed Theo to put me out of my misery.

"Okay," I drawled, scowling at him. "You're scaring me. Tell me what's wrong."

Theo sighed, reaching behind him to the sofa. He latched onto a piece of paper—one that I didn't see sitting there until he grabbed it. Are we being evicted? Why am I overthinking? I waited for him to tell me what's going on, but he didn't need to.