29

THEO

Say yes.

God, please say yes.

I took my glasses off as I stared down at Nina's blank face, feeling the rejection setting in the longer she took to answer. I couldn't read her face, or understand whatever the fuck she was thinking of.

She looked away from me, and I swear my heart almost fell out of my chest.

My lip was caught between my teeth, and I followed her gaze when it drifted to the side. I wish I could read her mind.

"Nina," I whispered, not letting go of her hands. I kissed her knuckles, closing my eyes when my breath shuddered against my control. Why is she not saying anything? I looked at her again, not bothering to mask the utter desperation for any answer. Preferably a yes. Or an 'I'll think about it'

But I didn't like the look on her face. Not one bit. It scared me.

"Nina—" I said again, and I felt her hands force itself out of my hold.

Fuck.

I almost cussed myself. Was it too soon? Was it too late? What the hell was going on?

When a smile lit up her face, the relief that flooded through me was beyond explanation. Her arms were around my neck in a second, pulling me down for a hug but her lips were on mine instantly. She kissed me hard, smiling in between pecks and I couldn't help but grin when she stood on the tips of her toes to kiss me deeper.

"Yes," she whispered against my lips. "A million times yes."

Thank you, textbook.

"You're trying to kill me," I breathed, still smiling widely when my hands went to her waist. "Aren't you?"

"No," she answered, falling back onto the heels of her feet and bringing me down with her. "Just wondering what took you so long."

"Yeah?" I whispered, kissing a small path along her neck. With my hands on her waist, I made sure not to touch her sore spot.

"You have no idea how long this has been on my mind, baby. I wanted to ask you in the first week I met you."

Nina was my girlfriend. She was mine—and I was hers. Is this real? Surely not. It didn't feel real. I felt an immense surge of pure pride make itself knowing throughout my entire body. The most beautiful woman I've ever seen and there she was, in my arms, accepting me and everything I had to offer.

I didn't want to stop making her feel as a special as she deserved to be. I was never going to stop.

"The first week?" she asked, chuckling when I kissed a sensitive spot on her shoulder. "While you were ignoring me?"

"Stop," I groaned, dropping my forehead on her shoulder. "I was stupid."

Stupid because I assumed I was far from what she wanted. With her kissing me like that and holding me like that, I knew that my own insecurities were not about to get the best of me. Nina grinned, waving me off with a slight lift of her hand.

I was happy she wasn't holding it against me.

"You make me so happy," she said softly, her eyes showing me how sincere she was. "And I mean that, Theo."

My face softened, and I laid my hand on her cheek. She leaned into my palm, breathing deeply and releasing a contented sigh. I wondered if she knew how happy she made me. Beyond words. I kissed her forehead, staying a little longer than necessary.