Chapter 15

We walked silently through the dark path, although I could hear cheerful sounds of the festival as we approached near the marketplace

I have never been to such a festival before. And with a date, never.

In fact, the man walking beside me, he didn't even appear like a demon now.

This must have been probably done to not scare the villagers about him being an uppermoon.

The 𝘬𝘢𝘯𝘫𝘪 𝘵𝘸𝘰 had disappeared from his rainbow tinted eyes, and his hair was tied behind in a neat ponytail. He looked so calm, with a small smile brightening his features.

𝘞𝘢𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘩𝘦 𝘭𝘰𝘰𝘬𝘦𝘥 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘢𝘴 𝘢 𝘩𝘶𝘮𝘢𝘯?

I couldn't help but blush a bit at his handsome face. Douma had sensed that somehow too.

"Y/N chan," he spoke in his usual cheerful tone, "how do I look?"

"Good."

"Just good, aww," Douma said, his spirits a bit lowered, "I expected you to say something more. After all I dressed up for you."

Blood rushed to my cheeks, but I managed to hide it with my loose strands of hair.

Douma suddenly held me by my shoulder turned me around, and tucked in my hair.

"Please don't hide your beautiful face with your hair, doll," he said, gently caressing my face.

We looked in each other's eyes for a brief moment, before we both turned away. He looked away, as I peeked at him from the corner of my eye. His ears, they had turned red.

𝘞𝘢𝘪𝘵, 𝘪𝘴 𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘭𝘶𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨?

Before long we entered the marketplace.

It was beautiful, lighted with lanterns. Cheerful voices of men, women and children playing and waiting for the fireworks to begin could be heard.

The happiness, I was mesmerized by it.

The market was glowing with life, so much of it that I was stunned.

When I was still living with my parents, we lived in a remote area, far away from the main market and the village. I never had a chance to visit these areas then.

Then it was all training to become a strong demon slayer, a Hashira.

I never had time to visit these fairs.

Mitsuri had asked me to accompany her on many occasions, but I had turned them down so that I could practise more.

As we passed a few more shops, I looked at the several fireworks. Unknowingly, I stood there watching them, not realizing Douma had moved on already. However, he returned.

"Do you want some fireworks? Let me buy them for you."

"But..."

"The main event is yet about to start, Y/N, see the other people are also burning crackers. Why shouldn't we have some fun too?"

Douma rushed to a shop to get some fireworks.

I wondered how Douma is managing to not lay his finger on a single person here. After all, he is a demon.
It must be his practice of running a cult.

Douma soon returned with the fireworks. "Come on, come on," he said, almost like an excited puppy, "let's burn these. I bought the most colorful ones."

"But, I don't know how to light one."

It is true. I have never done or seen fireworks, only heard about them.

"No problem Y/N," said Douma already taking out one from a box, not surprised at my words, "I will guide you."

"Here, let me light it for you," he said.

As soon as he lighted one, it started erupting with bright sparks and colors. It was truly mesmerising.

"Your turn."

I took out another cracker, and lighted it, watching as it erupted with colors.

I laughed. It was so beautiful.

𝘉𝘦𝘴𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘴, 𝘪𝘵 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘴𝘵 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘐 𝘩𝘢𝘥 𝘭𝘢𝘶𝘨𝘩𝘦𝘥 𝘴𝘰 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘪𝘭𝘺 𝘪𝘯 𝘢 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘭𝘦.

We both laughed and watched the fireworks, it was great watching them.

"The main fireworks will start soon, let's go to the hilltop. It will be a great view from there. And it's not a great climb, I promise," Douma added with a smile.

I nodded as I followed him on his way.