Chapter 1: Introduction

——————————🌊——————————

Pieces of drift wood floated about in the unusually choppy sea. In the distance, a great big ship was surrounded by red and yellow flames and smoke that engulfed the sinking vessel, and spread up into the night sky.

A little boy broke the surface of the ocean, and latched onto a large piece of wood that had broken off of the burning ship.

The little boy had short blonde hair and his clothes were ripped and soaked as he panted from trying to stay afloat.

The boy looked around frantically, his heart beating in his chest as he searched the great big ocean, hoping to spot someone else.

"(Y/n)?! (Y/n)?!" He called.

The little boy began to panic as he looked around and only saw water. He couldn't see her anywhere. She couldn't be dead...she just couldn't be...he didn't know what he'd do without her.

"(Y/n), where are you?!" He cried.

"Jacob!" A distant voice called.

The boy named Jacob swiftly turned his head in the direction of her voice.

A few feet away from him was a little girl, flailing her arms, and kicking her legs as she struggled against the waves to keep her head above water. 

"Jacob, over here!" She exclaimed.

"(Y/n)! I'm coming!"

Jacob used his hands to paddle over to the girl. Once he got closer, he stretched one hand out to grasp hers. She did the same and their fingertips were centimeters from brushing each other, when a flash of lightening lit up the sky, and a wave flipped Jacob's small raft over, sending the two kids under the surface.

Jacob opened his eyes underwater and saw the the ship they were on sinking further into the sea. The vessel completely torn in half.

He then turned his head, and saw (Y/n) a little below him, and quickly swam down to her, and grabbed her hand in his. The two kicked their legs as hard as they could to the surface.

As soon as they came up, they gasped for air. Jacob kept (Y/n)'s hand latched in his, refusing to let go, and pulled her over to the piece of wood. The two climbed on and panted, catching their breath, as they watched the rest of their ship get swallowed up by the sea.

"What do we do now?" (Y/n) asked fearfully.

"I...I'm not sure..." Jacob replied.

"I'm scared." The girl confessed.

"I know. I am too. But I'm not gonna let anything happen to you. I'll protect you." He promised, squeezing her hand.

(Y/n) smiled up at him and he gave a small smile back. But those smiles were quickly erased when a distant roar was heard. The two kids gasped and turned their heads to see a giant tail breach the surface.

(Y/n) whimpered and snuggled closer to Jacob, and Jacob wrapped and arm around her shoulders to pull her closer.

Underneath them, a giant creature swam by. It was hundreds of feet long, and had luminescent patterns all along its back, that almost looked like a skeleton.