Chapter 8: The Red Bluster

——————————🌊——————————

The sun was now setting, and Captain Crow stood at the front of the Inevitable, looking at the horizon, while the crew set off fireworks into the sky, trying to hopefully catch the attention of the Red Bluster. Jacob and (Y/n) walked up next to Captain Crow and stood silently next to him.

"We passed Rum Pepper Island in the night. We've reached the Dregmorr." Crow announced.

"Aye, and we'll find that thing soon enough." Jacob added.

Scraping sounds were heard behind them and all three turned to see Maisie sitting on the stairs that lead to the front of the boat, with her head being visible through the railing. She was dragging her knife along a stone to sharpen it, when she looked up a bit and saw the three looking at her.

"I wonder if I might need something a little...larger?" She smirked, lifting the dagger up.

"Hey, where'd you get that knife?" Jacob asked.

Maisie hopped up onto the upper level and showed the dagger off with pride. "Sarah and (Y/n) gave it to me, cause I'm a hunter now."

Maisie started swinging the knife through the air, while Jacob turned to face (Y/n) and lightly glared at her. (Y/n)'s eyes widened at his look, and she just smiled sheepishly and shrugged.

Jacob let out a sigh and turned back around to look at Maisie. "A hunter who needs to go to bed."

"But I'm too much awake to sleep. I'm on the Inevitable with Captain Crow. Them pictures in me books come to life, and exacting bloody revenge." Maisie swung her knife around again, and accidentally stabbed part of the boat.

(Y/n) giggled softly. She found her enthusiasm to be adorable.

"Go, get your rest." Crow ordered.

Maisie pulled her knife free and saluted him. "Aye Captain. We's gonna kill that thing, ain't we? And they'll make statues of us."

"We'll kill it alright, now get!" Crow said with a small smile.

"Alright you, come along. Time for bed." (Y/n) walked forward and started ushering Maisie down the stairs, leading her to her room.

Once they left, Jacob came up next to Captain Crow again. "The monsters I can handle. But that one? She'll be the death of me." Jacob grumbled, leaning against some ropes.

Crow chuckled. "You'll recall the hunter's code binds us to all who come before and all who come after. I see a fire in her. Same fire I saw in you and (Y/n)."

Jacob gave him a look of disbelief. He was about to say something, but a distant groan could be heard in the distance, and the ship started creaking and shaking.

Jacob and Crow shared a look, before Jacob ran off and Crow began giving orders.

"Beat to quarters!" Crow ordered.

"Let's have her ready!" Ms. Merino shouted. "Todays the day we do what we do!"

The hunters got into their positions, to get ready for battle, and some of the crew members started bringing up crates that contained explosives, from below deck.