Chapter 12: Hitching a Ride

——————————🌊——————————

Jacob quickly rowed through the water looking for the two girls, and panicking when he couldn't see them.

"Maisie?! (Y/n)?! Maisie?! (Y/n)?!" He called.

He looked behind him when he heard a noise, and saw bubbles along the surface, before Blue appeared with Maisie holding onto him.

She coughed out the water in her lungs and gasped for air. "Good boy." She told Blue.

"Where's (Y/n)?!" Jacob demanded.

Maisie's smile dropped. "She's not with you?"

"I wouldn't be asking if she was, now would I?!" Jacob yelled.

The two looked around, but didn't see her anywhere. Jacob's stomach dropped and his heart sank.

"No, no, no, no, no." Jacob said to himself, as he dove off the boat and into the water.

Jacob frantically looked around, when all of a sudden Blue appeared with his glowing antenna and illuminated the water. He swam down a bit and his light illuminated figure floating in the water.

Jacob swam faster than he ever had in his life, and Blue swam beneath her and started pushing her up towards the surface. Jacob met him halfway, and grabbed her around the waist and pulled her up to the surface.

Jacob quickly swam towards the boat and pulled (Y/n) up into the boat. He gently laid her down, and pushed her damp hair out of her face.

"(Y/n)? (Y/n), please. Please, please, please, please don't be dead." Jacob begged.

Maisie sat in the boat with Blue on her lap, hugging him to her chest, as she watched with a scared expression. 

"(Y/n)...you can't leave me, please." Jacob whispered, cupping her cheek.

His eyes started to fill with tears, and he started to lean down to kiss her for what he thought would be the last time. Just as his lips we're about to brush hers, she suddenly lurched forward and her head collided with Jacob's.

She violently coughed and hacked up the water in her lungs and took very deep breaths of oxygen, trying to calm herself down.

"Did...did I die?" She rasped

Jacob didn't answer. Instead he threw his arms around her waist and pulled her onto his lap, and hugged her like he's never hugged her before.

"J...Jacob...can't breathe..." she gasped.

Jacob loosened his hold on her but not by much.

"(Y/n)!" Maisie cried, rushing over and joining the hug.

"Maisie! Oh, I'm glad you're alright."

The little girl released her and Jacob placed his hand in her cheek and looked into her eyes.

"You scared me something awful, love. I thought I'd never see you again. I thought you were...that you were..." he couldn't even bring himself to say it.