Chapter 5: Meeting Maisie

——————————🌊——————————

The Inevitable sailed along the water, red sails flapping in the wind. The sea started to become narrower as the ship approached land.

Jacob, (Y/n) and the rest of the crew stood on deck watching as they approached their home.

(Y/n) stood next to Jacob, and playfully nudged him, and gave him a smirk. He looked down at her and smirked back, before wrapping an arm around her shoulders.

The ship approached a giant net held up by two man made columns. Once the workers saw the ship approaching, they lowered the net, and the Inevitable sailed into the kingdom, ringing its bells so everyone knew it had returned.

...

"It's the Inevitable! The Inevitable's back!" A boy shouted, opening the window of his classroom.

All the other kids gathered around to see as well.

"Woah!"

"Look!"

"Bet she's got a belly full of bones!"

The kids weren't the only ones excited for the ships's return. All the villagers paused what they were doing, and watched the Inevitable pull in.

...

The ship spiked to the docks, and the crew members tossed ropes down to people on the docks so they could tie it up.

...

Amongst the crowd, Maisie Brumble was pushing past people's legs to get a look at her second favorite boat of all time. She found a barrel and climbed on top of it so she could see above the crowd, and saw Sarah standing on the railing of the ship holding a rope.

"It's good to be home at last, but it'll be a short stay I'm afraid." Sarah announced. "Captain Crow will visit the King and Queen at first light. And when the ship is ready, we'll be off to kill a monster!"

The crowd cheered at this, and then the old man hopped onto the railing as well.

"We're going after the Red Bluster! So, if this be our last visit to the Three Bridges, I expect some right, proper debauchery!" He shouted, and the crowd cheered.

Maisie hopped off the barrel and continued to squeeze her way through the crowd.

"Go on then, make way for the hunters." Sarah said.

As she walked down the ramp, the crowd parted, making a path for the crew to walk down.

Maisie tried to get closer, but people kept walking in front of her, blocking her path, so she had to settle for looking in between the crowd.

It wasn't perfect, but she could see two crew mates carrying the horn of the Brickleback down the ramp. She heard a laugh and shifted her gaze to catch a glimpse of Jacob and (Y/n).

"The crown will pay well for them horns. So the drinks are on us!" He announced.

He pulled (Y/n) closer to him by her waist, and she laughed, and wrapped her arm around his back.