8. Tech Rehearsal

[Avni: Last week at New York was a lot at once. New York is actually really exciting and the fact that I might be living there someday actually makes me smile- but I left Salt Lake for a week and nothing is the same. Gina's leaving, I haven't talked to Ricky at all, Big Red definitely likes Ashyln and EJ cheated at water polo?]

The theatre was literally burnt to a crisp.

"There was a small fire in the theatre over the holiday and the sprinklers did their job," Miss Jenn explained.

What about our show?

"The show cannot go on," the firefighter said. "Fire ripped through half of your costumes and the sprinklers ruined a bunch of your sets. I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to red tag the entire backstage area for a month at least."

Oh my god.

Miss Jenn looked pretty shaken, but honestly who could blame her? The show was doomed.

She did take charge remarkably though, and told everyone to reconvene in the cafeteria later.

After school let out, all of the theatre kids met up, comforting each other while waiting for Miss Jenn to show up. Big Red and Kourtney were actually taking it pretty hard, which was fair since a bunch of their work had to be redone. The actors only needed the stage.

"I'm really not sure what to say," Miss Jenn said when she came in. "You've all worked so hard. I've seen all of you grow so much. But if we don't have a theatre, we don't have a show."

Everyone heavily protested to that and quickly arrived at the fact that a new venue had to be found.

Carlos suggested the Elray, which Miss Jenn didn't seem too pleased about, but off they went.

♡♡♡♡♡

"Smell that smell, the theatre. Mould, it's a sign of life. Everyone, watch your step. And let me know if you haven't had a tetanus shot recently, okay?" Miss Jenn said as we all walked into the dingy theatre with flashlights.

"Hey, Ricky," Avni called.

"Hi."

"So, we haven't talked all week."

"Yeah, I guess we just kept missing each other," he said dryly.

His tone struck odd, "Are you mad at me or something?"

"No- it's just- the moment's passed, you know? Nothing to say."

Avni thought back to her conversation with EJ about her mother. Weirdly this felt like she was on the receiving end of her own treatment towards her mom.

Is that why he didn't tell me about his parent's divorce?

Avni swallowed her hurt, nodded and walked away.

♡♡♡♡♡

"I need some bodies for the rooftop scene," Miss Jenn said.

"I can do Troy," EJ said way too quickly.

"Fine."

"Or at least some people think so," EJ said under his breath, but of course, everyone heard it.

"Avni, stand in for Gabriella."

"Do we have a working lightboard? Do we have a working light switch?" Miss Jenn asked.

"Found it!" Came the reply. The stage was flooded in blue light, which revealed some extremely creepy mannequins wearing neon, straight out of a nightmare.