21.2. "Showtime", Part 2

"Look there she goes, a girl who's strange, but special, a most peculiar mademoiselle. It's a pity and a sin, she doesn't quite fit in, she really is a funny girl- a beauty but a funny girl- that Belle."

"Good morning, Belle," EJ called (as Gaston) as the music died down. "Wonderful book you have there."

Avni suppressed the urge to smile at him- but there was really no suppressing the butterflies in her stomach. She really hoped it wasn't obvious.

"Have you read it?" she asked, slightly surprised.

"Well, not that one, but you know- books," he said, nodding his head instead of saying words. "For your dinner table," he said, abruptly bringing up flowers between them, forcing Avni to take a step back. "Shall I join you this evening?" he asked, voice like butter.

Yes. "Not this evening," she said carefully.

"Busy?" he asked, still trying to shoot his shot.

"No," Avni said slowly, turning and walking off-stage, cringing at her words.

"So? Moving on?" Big Red asked him.

"No, Le Fou, it's the ones that play hard to get that are the hardest prey. That's what makes Belle so appealing- she hasn't made a fool of herself just to gain my favour."

Only because you showed absolutely no interest, Avni thought as she stood in the wings.

"What would you call that?" EJ asked Big Red.

"Dignity?" Avni smiled at that.

"It's outrageously attractive, isn't it?"

Avni smiled wider at that.

♡♡♡♡♡

"Don't you think it's weird that The Beast only has until he's 21 to find true love?" Ricky asked. "First of all, in the movie he looks at least 30."

"Well, you know what they say, 'Beast don't crease'," Big Red said. What? "Plus, I hear the fur adds like 10 years."

"Literally feels like I've aged 10 years since the day I got this part," Ricky said.

"Hell yeah," Avni said from her place across the room. "I was afraid I'd have age lines by opening night. And Belle does not have age lines. Or a waist."

Ricky chuckled, "I'm glad I did this, though."

"Yeah."

"You would be," Big Red said pointedly to Avni.

Avni grinned at him.

"Wait- what's going on?" Ricky asked.

"EJ kissed her earlier today."

"What?" Ricky asked.

Avni shrugged, "It's no big deal." But her smile was a dead give- away.

Big Red got off the floor, groaning all the way.

"Dude, maybe you're pushing yourself a little too hard with this side hustle project in the south hallway?" Ricky asked. Oh, right. I forgot about that.

"No, it's fine. I'm almost done," Big Red said. "I just need constant electrolytes and a whole new stomach."

"I've been saying that for years." Ricky said. Avni laughed to herself.

"Members of the company, this is your 10-minute call to Act Two. Please, everyone- remain in the same role you started in," Natalie announced.

"I should probably go get ready," Avni said.

♡♡♡♡♡

"Hey," EJ said as Natalie was checking Avni's body mic.

"Hi," she smiled at him.

"I think you're good," Natalie said. Avni nodded at her, "Thanks."

"You were incredible," he said. "I mean- Be Our Guest? The spins? Amazing."

"My kathak training had to come in handy somewhere. Also I think Kourtney stole the show there."

He grinned.

"Cast and crew, this is your places call. Places for Act Two," Natalie announced.

Avni looked back at EJ, letting out a nervous breath. "See you up there for the Mob Song?"

"Yeah."

There was an awkward silence as they just stared at each other.

Oh, wait. I can just-

Avni tilted her head upwards, and planted a chaste kiss on his lips. "Good luck," she said, and took her place for Something There.

♡♡♡♡♡

Backstage had descended into chaos.

Everyone was looking for this damn harness.

"You guys, the orchestra hasn't vamped this much since Bop To The Top," Carlos said.

"I know it's here," Natalie said. "I pre-set it."

"What's happening?" Miss Jenn ran in.

"My harness is missing," Ricky said.

"The new one for the transformation," Ashlyn added.

"What? No, no, this can't be happening!"

"It was right here!" Natalie said, pointing to a box.

"What else can I use?" Ricky asked.

"Oh heaven's sake, can't you just jump off something high?" Miss Jenn yelled.

Everybody stopped what they were doing at stared at her.

"Nope. Forget I said that. I will be- not here."

"I knew something would go wrong!" Ricky said.

"Hey, hey, you guys! All of you! Stop it," Nini called. "Richard, let's just spin you around without the harness, you can toss the mask into the wings. Okay? Just like rehearsal."

"Right! Which I never got right once. And now I'm supposed to do it with one hand?" he said.

"First time for everything, right?" Nini asked.

"I can spin the table," EJ said.

"I can throw snow," Carlos offered.

"And I'll catch your mask," Nini said.

"You guys," Avni shook her head. "What about the Menkies?"

"Can't we just find and use the harness when we perform at the Menkies?" EJ asked.

"Can we?" Avni asked Carlos.

"I don't know- we can figure it out later! We don't have an option right now. Our judge is literally doing sudoku. I'm pushing you guys on stage," he said.

"Okay," Avni nodded. "Let's do this."

Ricky nodded back.

"Aim for my face," Natalie told him.

_______________________________________________________

A/n

I don't think using a different technology at the Menkies would be allowed, so that's not gonna happen. I just needed that plot point to be addressed because I will be writing the Menkies later on.

The only reason it wasn't on the show was because of Covid restrictions- it doesn't make any sense storyline-wise, so I figured I'd write it.

Please comment if there's any other changes you guys want in the plot going forward.