16. Yes, And...

[Avni: I think I'm actually doing okay. This Gina thing has hit me hard, but I'm trudging forward, and being as supportive as possible. Nini's in the show now- which means Ricky and her are going to be all couple-y in front of everyone- but I'm going to reserve my opinions about that and again, support Gina. Plus, Ricky's been a great friend to me lately- and I'm going to reciprocate. As far as EJ is concerned, we'll see where that goes.]

"Hey," EJ said as soon as Avni entered the bomb shelter.

She huffed. Already?

"No flowers today," he said. "I brought you coffee." He extended a paper cup with a note.

Avni felt conflicted. Was she supposed to accept it? She'd made it seem that she'd only been accepting the flowers because they were literally in her locker. But how could she say no to his face?

"She won't be taking that," Ricky said, coming up just in time. "C'mon," and he dragged her away.

"You're welcome," he said to Avni.

♡♡♡♡♡

Everyone was currently obsessing over North High's perfect video.

"Damn," Avni murmured.

"I know, it's incredible. Even I have no notes," Carlos said.

"Huh?" Avni asked. They aren't talking about what you are. "Right, yeah," she covered up.

"What are you doing?" Gina asked scandalously, looking into Avni's phone over her shoulder.

Avni flushed, "Nothing."

"Nothing?" Gina quirked an eyebrow. "Who is he?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Who is this North High kid you're stalking?" She said loudly. Her words were followed by indignant cries from all the other theatre kids.

"Okay, okay. Chill! He's their choreographer, okay? I just got carried away in the thirst traps."

"Show," Gina made grabby-hands at Avni's phone. "Oh, wow," she said as she scrolled down his page.

"I know right."

"Are those abs real?"

"They are in my head."

"Okay, everyone, back to me," Miss Jenn called. "North High is clearly focusing on bells and whistles. Impressive. But distracting. All we need is..."

"Friendship?"

"No, Seb, all we need is to get back to basics. Emotional performances that connect with the audience can make all the difference with these judges. And I have a plan. Which is why you've been called in today. And that plan is... a weekend acting intensive."

"A weekend acting intensive like-"

"Improv. Character work. Movement exercises."

"All that sounds great Miss Jenn. But how did North High even find out that we were doing Beauty and the Beast?" Avni asked.

Murmurs of agreement broke around the room.

"I suppose," Miss Jenn started. "I suppose I did. I was bragging to Zachey Roy about our puppies in Act Two and I guess I told him?"

Avni groaned, "Miss Jenn," she shook her head.

"I know, I know, I'm sorry, it won't happen again. Take notes, children. Nothing should stand in our way of Menkies gold. And don't forget, we have something North High doesn't."