11. New Years' Eve

[Avni: New year, same problems? Plus a few new ones I suppose. Ricky and I haven't really talked since the big fight. So I guess I'm going into Ashlyn's party tonight with an agenda.]

"Hey, thanks for coming in early to help set everything up," Ashlyn told Avni.

"Oh, it's no problem," she smiled. "It's not like I've had something going for me today. Or all week as a matter of fact."

"Oh, that's right- You don't celebrate Christmas."

"Yeah, it's just a big holiday with nothing to do. The restaurant really busy around this time though, so I've been pulling quite a few shifts there."

"That's good, load up on some pocket money," Gina said.

"My parents don't really believe in pocket money. They like to know exactly where their money is going. I have to ask every time I need some."

"Oh," Ashlyn said.

"It's no big deal, the system works," Avni smiled. "And in any case, I'm always glad to spend some time with you girls."

They both smiled at her, just as the bell rang.

"That must be Kourtney!" Ashlyn squealed. Avni and Gina grinned at each other.

♡♡♡♡♡

"...very ironic and on point theme for reasons that I'm not at liberty to disclose until midnight," Carlos said.

Gina and Avni grinned at each other on the top of the stairs. "It's because we're doing High School Musical 2, right?" Gina asked as they both came down the stairs.

"Girls!" Seb squealed. They raced down the stairs to hug him and Carlos.

"Oh, my god, Avni, that outfit is everything," Carlos said.

"I mean, I did play Sharpay, and my Sharpay will always be Poo from Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham, so, when Kourtney said HSM 2 inspired outfits, it was a no-brainer," Avni said.

"But how do you guys know? Did Miss Jenn tell you?" Carlos asked.

"Why wouldn't we do HSM Two? Our HSM was instantly legendary, and we already have the cast and half the costumes," Kourtney said.

"Man, I was so excited to hold that secret over everybody's head."

"Aww, I'm sorry, Carlos. I'm sure there'll be someone who doesn't know."

"Fill these out," Kourtney said, giving them pieces of paper.

"Is this Truth or Dare?"

"No, it's better. Write down your resolutions for the New Year. We're playing a game later."

♡♡♡♡♡

"Hello, hello," came EJ's voice a little later.

"EJ," Ashyln and Carlos said together in the kitchen.

"Hi! I'm sorry I'm so late. I was volunteering at the soup kitchen with the water polo guys," EJ said. Avni walked toward the kitchen purely out of astonishment.

"Pics or it didn't happen," Carlos said exactly what Avni was thinking.

"I'm actually taking a break from social media, so," EJ said.

"Wow, new year, new you," Avni told him, coming into the kitchen grinning. Warmth emanated from his presence, making Avni almost dizzy. Is he growing a beard?

EJ's eyes flitted to her, and didn't leave. He didn't say anything, just seemed to be a bit dazed.

Avni broke eye contact before she could get carried away, but he didn't. She glanced quizzically at Ashlyn, she just smiled like she knew something Avni didn't and left the kitchen. Stepping forward, Avni said, "Umm, Earth to EJ? You still with us?"