23. The Menkies

[Avni: The last two weeks have been a lot. Finals, rehearsals, boyfriends, well one boyfriend- it's been eventful, to say the least. But we're performing at the Menkies today, so I have a feeling it's going to get a lot more overwhelming.]

The cast circled up, holding hands and saying their own silent prayers.

It was the last calm moment before an evening of nerves and a night of anticipation before the results next day.

"Alright, Wildcats," Miss Jenn called. "Let's go."

Avni glanced at Ricky. "You ready?"

"Yep. Let's show them what East High's made of," he said.

Avni grinned at him as everyone cheered.

"What Team?"

"Wildcats!"

"Get'cha Head in the Game!"

♡♡♡♡♡

"I will never get over you in this dress," EJ said to Avni- who was wearing the classic yellow Belle dress for the waltz scene.

She smiled as he pulled her closer, brushing her hair out of her face.

"I have a scene with you in this."

"Hmm, I know. I could barely get my lines out last time."

She laughed, "Let's hope that doesn't happen."

He hummed, leaning in.

"I have to go," she whispered.

"Right- to go dance with someone who isn't me."

Avni rolled her eyes. "You and me dancing would just be historically inaccurate," she teased.

"History would have to deal with it," he said, as he twirled her once, and planted a kiss on her lips- before she left to take her place for Tale as Old as Time.

♡♡♡♡♡

"What do we think about our chances, you guys?" Avni asked as she plopped onto EJ's bed. Everyone had somehow gathered in his and Ricky's room- since no one was actually going to be able sleep at all.

"I think you'll get Best Lead," Ricky said.

"I don't think so. Did you see the girl from Carlson Prep? She was a literal angel."

"Good thing we're looking for the best humans," EJ said.

"Wordplay, EJ? Doesn't excuse the facts."

"I think we might win Best Musical," Gina said.

"We for sure did better than North High," Natalie said. "In spite of our transformation being the same."

"Yeah- what happened to them? They seemed kinda out of sync tonight," Avni said.

"I though you did something," Gina said to Avni.

"No, did you?"

She shook her head.

"Kourt? Did you get anything from Howie?" Nini asked her.

"Not really- he seemed fine before."

"Lily was sort of jumpy," Ricky pitched in.

Avni rolled her eyes, and exercised all her control in not saying anything. What Ricky was doing with her, would never make sense to Avni, no matter how much he explained it.

"Let's just do something different," Big Red said. Avni knew he wasn't happy with the whole Ricky-Lily thing either. "Distract ourselves."

"You guys wanna play a game?" Carlos asked.