12. Typecasting

[Avni: So New Year's Eve was a mess. But- I feel much better now- because I have a goal. After regrouping, I have realised that the Menkies are really a fast- tracked way to success- and I will be putting myself in the front seat. I'm talented, and the world's going to know it. Screw everyone who gets in the way of my journey.]

Avni stayed shy of the theatre table at lunch. She didn't want to get carried away in the drama like last time. She wanted the lead, but not at anyone else's expense. She would work hard at auditions, and earn the role fair and square.

"Ricky's not auditioning," Gina plopped down in front of her. "EJ's not doing the lead either. Ashlyn's going for composer. Carlos is also auditioning."

Well, there went that plan.

Avni sighed, "I don't want to get involv- Wait did you say neither Ricky nor EJ are actually auditioning for the lead?"

Gina shook her head.

"Who's going to play the beast?"

Gina shrugged, "I have no idea."

"You have prod at Ricky," Avni said.

"I don't think that's a very good idea."

"You did it last semester. He didn't mind. He thanked you. He yelled at me, but he thanked you. Though, I daresay I deserved it."

"For the record, I don't think everything he said was accurate," Gina said. "But maybe I can tell him to not give up. Maybe."

"Maybe's all I need," Avni said. "Tell him he's our best shot for Menkies. He'll eat that up," Avni added as an after-thought.

"Ooo, are we plotting for the play?" EJ asked, sitting down at the table.

"Oh, for fuck's sake," Avni groaned.

Gina grinned, "You might leave the scheming, but the scheming won't leave you."

♡♡♡♡♡

"Hi," Gina said happily as she took a seat beside Avni. Auditions were starting in five minutes.

"You're happy," Avni noted.

"Yeah, I talked to Ricky, and I think I got through to him. We'll see."

"That's good."

"Also, I've been thinking," Gina said, her tone dramatically different. Avni turned to look at her. "I don't think I'm going to audition for Belle today."

Avni furrowed her eyebrows, "Why not?"

"I don't wanna go up against you."

"Gina-"

"No look, hear me out. It's your last musical here, I've so many more where I can play the lead. I told you we'd go through this together, and I meant that-"

"I did too. But Gina-"

"Look, I don't know what's going to happen at the end of this semester. I don't know if I'm going to be able to stay here, and I just want to leave happy. I've been thinking about it for a while now, and Ashlyn gave me this trio she wrote and honestly, I'm going to give that a try."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

"Plus, Carlos kind of asked me to be co-choreographer."

"Oh my god, what?"

"Yeah, I'm going to give it a shot."

"Yeah, okay," Avni grinned, hugging Gina.