City

Aurora sat in a bar, sitting by herself in a little booth, girls made themselves available for the soldiers already in the bar and a lot of the men were drinking their pity away. The girl was waiting for a guy, she had already gotten herself a drink, just now waiting for the man to appear, it was relatively early in the evening and so she was here with the first crowds of people. An hour had passed her date hadn't shown, she'd only just finished her first drink and most of the first crowd had been swapped with a new crowd.

"Now what knucklehead would leave a cookie like you all alone?" A smile formed on Aurora's face, she stared up at the familiar face, and she rested her chin in her palm as the man sat next to her. Hearing she was called cute, brought an extra smile to her lips.

"Hi, James." The girl whispered, staring at him curiously, the man grabbed her hand and gave her a little charming smile.

"Ro, how long have you been here?"

"An hour." He rolled his eyes, frowning slightly at the girl's actions, Aurora shrugged lightly and clenched her eyes shut seeing the man she was waiting for with his arm around another girl.

"Well, I think, I need a drink. Want one?" Aurora went to stand up, yet she was pulled back down gently.

"Bucky." A whine escaped her lips as he hugged her, she hugged him back, her sadness reaching her as he pulled her in tighter. Bucky hugged her until she stopped shaking, and the blue-eyed man stared at her curiously.

"Ro, dance with me, that always brings a smile to your face." Bucky didn't even give her a chance to object, she stared at him hopefully as they danced to the tunes, a giggle escaped her lips as he twirled her around to the tune. He did whatever he could to add to her smile, cheering her up as best as he could, he did not want to see her hurting and did not want her to feel bad about herself.

"You're a guy, Buck, are there nice ones besides yourself and Steve?" Her voice was hopeful, desperate and sad, the man with her held back a sigh and carefully cupped one side of her face in his hand.

"There are nice guys out there, just sweet girls like you will meet all the wrong ones first before meeting the nice ones. Some guy... will enter a room, his eyes will immediately land on your smile, and he'll end up smiling because of how contagious and beautiful it is. There, he'll know that you've got a heart of gold, and he'll want to know you instantly. The second he starts speaking with you, he can't be pulled away, this guy will instantly know that he wants to be with... you've got that effect on people."

The dance between the two became a gentle pace, Bucky stared at the girl softly, his words holding more to them than she knew. Aurora stared at him wide-eyed with a blush tinting her cheeks, this man's words made her heart flutter and no man had ever made an attempt to tell her of such words.

"Oh, Bucky... that's lovely... thank you. That's really reassuring." He smiled and rested his hand back on her waist, the girl hummed to the tune of the song that started playing.

Heaven, I'm in heaven
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak
And I seem to find the happiness I seek
When we're out together dancing cheek to cheek

The number of times Bucky has heard the song escape her lips could never be enough. Aurora stared up at the man, grinning widely as they danced to Fred Astaire's song. He knew that this was a favourite of hers, that she would always be humming it no matter what and would instantly have her head somewhere else, rather than the room she was in

"What is it about this song that you love so much?" Bucky questioned softly, Aurora hummed softly a little more, giggling as he just stared at her with a particular look in his eyes.

"I don't know, it's all lovey-dovey and stuff, it makes me happy and hopeful for some guy to love me in the future. Buck, Frank Astaire is great too... It's a great song in general." Aurora grinned happily, staring at him hopefully and frowned slightly as the guy who stood her up approached.

"You dirty broad, already jumping for another guy!" Bucky placed Aurora behind him staring at the man, his friendly look darkened instantly, Bucky felt the girl tug on his shirt and try and convince him that there was no point in doing this. He wanted to listen to her, yet this guy had already stood her up and had the audacity to insult her.

"You're the one that ditched her for some other girl. Don't insult her when you're the asshole here."

"Bucky, please... don't worry about it, let's go. He's not worth it." Aurora pleaded, tugging on Bucky's arm and her eyes begging for the man to drop it. He nodded, listening to her and walked out of the bar with a scowl glued onto his face.

Aurora gave a pleasant smile to some people passing by and then turned to the man in front of her. Aurora turned to Bucky, looking at him with a thankful smile and a gleam in her eyes.

"I really appreciate it, thank you, but you didn't have to do that for me. Bucky, you are the greatest person and it's really sweet of you to be standing up for people. But there's no need to stand up for me to a guy that's commenting about me." He stared at her as if she has grown another head, is this really how she saw herself?

"Ro, why would you say that? Is that really how you see yourself?" The girl cringed slightly, yet nodded in agreement to his question.

"If I'm stupid enough to agree to go out with a guy like that then I deserve the consequences." Bucky rolled his eyes at the girl's statement, she fiddled with his hands after he grabbed them and took a deep breath.

"You're lucky I'm not going back in there and giving that guy a knuckle sandwich. Any guy that makes you feel like that deserves to be hurt. Come on, I'll take you home." Being the gentleman he was, he placed his coat over the girl and made sure she was furthest from the road, this man was too chivalrous.

Aurora stared in shock as some douche had the audacity to purposefully drive into a puddle near them. They both froze in shock, Aurora huffed in irritation and jumped startled as Bucky started rubbing her arms to try and warm her up.

They made it to her apartment, the place was chilly and Bucky instantly started working with everything to get the place warm. The girl grabbed a towel, handed it to Bucky and glanced around nervously.

"You can sit in front of the fire, try to get warm or you could have a shower and I can dry your clothes for you and get you some new ones while you're showering or you can stay here because it looks like it will rain and you shouldn't get a cold or I could even-" Bucky stopped the girl from her rant, she looked at him embarrassed and hummed softly as he bent down to her eye-level.

"Ro, take a breath for me." The girl did as asked, smiling with a nervous chuckle and took a deep breath.

"Better?" Bucky questioned softly, the girl nodded and briefly hugged him before stepping away.

"I left my bag here, remember? You go get ready first, I'll get some food for you, okay? Just, take it easy for me." Aurora nodded, placing the clothes that she could in front of the fire and then grabbed her other clothes to change into after her shower.

After the shower, Aurora placed the rest of the clothes in front of the fire and handed Bucky another towel, he swapped places as the food cooked and Aurora did her own thing.