Dinner

Bucky walked out in his clothes that he left in his bag that was left in the girl's apartment. He had come for a visit the other day, leaving it behind by accident but has since forgotten to return to grab it.

"Ro, I'll deal with the rest, just sit down," Bucky ordered lightly, she nodded and sat down at the small table and grinned softly as Bucky plated the food. The two had known each other since childhood, Aurora was a year younger than him yet in her 25 years of life that one year meant nothing, it didn't stop her friendship blossoming with him or Steve.

It was early in the 1940s, the war was raging and it seemed to be all she knew. Aurora fiddled with the food, staring at him curiously and thinking about what was happening.

"How many men were drafted?" Bucky stared at her with a solemn smile and glanced out the window they sat by.

"About 20." He answered quietly, it was hard to see his friends and people he knew be forced to be sent off to the war. The girl grabbed his hand, giving it a comforting squeeze and looked at him reassuringly.

"Are you scared that will happen to you?" Her question caught him by surprise, he nodded and refused to meet her eye, scared she'll think of him as a coward and not manly enough.

"Buck, even if you do, you're gonna get through. You're really smart and really brave. You were like super smart in school and you are a good guy. That will help you. I believe in you." James stared at the girl, she was so sweet and kind and caring but he knew that eventually he would be drafted, he didn't really want to fight in the war but he would if he had to and he wouldn't complain.

But it's not how he saw his life, he saw his life with the girl of his dreams, settling down with the possibility of having children and maybe a dog or a cat. Aurora cleaned the dishes with the help of Bucky and started making the couch for the night. Bucky glanced at the brunette girl and watched as she started fixing the apartment up for the storm brewing.

"Ro, I'll put out the fire, you get more blankets." Bucky got the fire out, cleaned the mess and then helped Aurora get all the warm essentials together. The cold draft had already formed, the weather outside becoming more intense after every breath, the world lit up after every strike of lightning and the wind bashed against the windows.

James turned to see the girl carrying a pile of blankets that hid her face, not knowing where she was heading, she took slow and cautious steps to avoid bumping into things. The man watch amused for a few moments at her cautious steps. He grabbed the items from her hands, making her look at him startled at the sudden action.

Bucky sat on the couch with her, wrapped her up first and then pulled her into his arms to keep her extra warm.

"What about you?" A smirk formed on his lips, her concern for those around her was noticeable the second you got to know her. Bucky kept an arm wrapped around her as he draped a blanket over his body, the man comforted her after every flinch she made from the sound of the thunder, keeping her relaxed to ease her mind from the chaos outside.

"I've got you. You're my personal heater." The girl snorted at his words, he chuckled softly, keeping her safe in his arms and keeping her cocooned in the blankets. Aurora repositioned herself to get a better look at him, Bucky covered one of her ears with his hand and told her to rest the side of her face against his chest to cover her other ear. He knew her, he knew loud noises made her uncomfortable and put her into another mindset.

It scared her, it made her worried, and she couldn't think or breathe when she was overwhelmed by loud noises. At some point through the night, the two fell asleep, they were bundled together between blankets and each other, it was hard to tell where one began and the other ended.

Aurora was basically sprawled out on Bucky in the morning, she was almost like a starfish, Bucky was on his back and had both hands wrapped around her waist. Bucky was the first to wake up, he looked at the girl slightly stunned but smiled nonetheless at her form. The girl hummed against his chest as she drifted in and out of her sleep, Aurora gripped his shirt slightly and loosened her grip slightly.

The girl shifted against him, curling into the fetal position and pressing herself against the back of the couch. Bucky felt the girl's breath against his skin, she clung tightly to him and continued to quietly snore in his ear. Bucky carefully slid out from underneath her, fixing the blankets up as he started to walk away, Bucky started preparing breakfast, doing what he could to make sure she had a pleasant meal to wake up to.

Aurora groaned as she awoke, she rolled out of bed, landing on the ground as she believed she was in her bed and not on the couch. Aurora looked around startled, taking a few moments to realise where she was and came to the conclusion of where she was. The brunette smiled upon seeing Bucky making breakfast, he glanced at her and grinned at her sleepy gaze, Aurora walked over to him to see what he was making and rubbed her face tiredly as she tried to wake herself up.

Bucky placed the plates full of food down, he walked to the girl, leading her to the table and giving her what she needed to take those few extra steps to start eating. The girl took a few bites, letting herself wake up before staring at him tiredly.

"Thanks, Buck." The girl whispered, melting into the amazing food he made her, grinning in pleasure at the taste. Bucky was glad to see the weather had died down from its violent cry and was a causal drizzle. He then found himself staring at the girl before him, she was effortlessly beautiful, and he didn't get how men could find the audacity to hurt her.

Realising he was staring, he glanced away for a few moments, before acknowledging he hadn't said anything in response to her gratitude.

"Of course, Ro." He finally replied, grinning at her widely.