0:36

Her mind ran wildly as she tried to think of a way she could respond to the text message she had just received. A text message she never expected to receive in her lifetime, especially with the way everything happened, and how everything ended.

Everyone knew where she stood when it came to the situation, she believed that even Essie knew, hence she worded her message in the way that she had. Hence she even decided to text her instead of being a decent human being by calling and saying your piece.

She didn't know if she wanted to be kind with her words, since Essie was not the one who had actually wronged her. However, she wanted her response to be clear as day - she did not want her essentially begging her to change her mind.

   Hey, it's Essie. Before you ask, I got your number from Amaru's phone. Firstly, I'd like to apologize on behalf of my brother for what he did. I do not want to make excuses for him, so I won't - because he could have chosen not to. I believe he just wanted to escape the pain.

I know no type of apology will ever make things okay. So I won't beg you to forgive him. That's your personal decision, however, I would like to ask if you could find it in your heart to fly to New York. I'll personally sponsor the flight.

    Amaru is still in a coma, but last night and this morning, he called out your name. I believe hearing your voice, or feeling your presence might bring him back to his family. Please think about it. You wouldn't be doing it for him, but for the greater good — for this, I beg🙏🏾. He's my brother, the only family I have left...I'd love to have him back. Blessings.

Staring at the message, she bit her bottom lip, slowly flexing her jaw as her eyes became blurry. She obviously did not care about the fact that Amaru had called out for her. She didn't care for him, or his well-being. She didn't want to be in his presence. She did not want to ever see him again.

She would never ever! forgive him. She felt like she had the right to be this angry, and that was an understatement. She had a right to be livid. If that meant that he would remain in that coma until they took him off life support, then so be it.

She was so not going to New York. Not in her right mind, she wasn't. She wouldn't. Essie would just have to be scarred for life, because Amaru did not deserve that from her — she thought to herself. He just didn't deserve her presence.

So she started typing out her response. She was going to make it short and sweet. That was the very least that she could do. Essie hadn't wronged her, Amaru had — so she wouldn't treat her harshly at all.

    Hi. Thank you for your message and your apology. I'm sure you've been happy that your brother has been making progress, however, you will have to find another way to bring him back to life. Unfortunately, I will not be participating, quite frankly I don't want to. But you keep on praying for him, I'm sure the good Lord will return him back to you. Be blessed.

    And yes, I did think on it...so there's no changing my mind. Kind Regards.

She locked her phone screen, placing it on the couch before she made her way to her kitchen. She needed a full glass of wine, for this and for the conversation she would be having with Hendrichs shortly. She couldn't have it with a completely sober mind, otherwise her emotions would cause her to short-circuit, sending her into a very nasty mood — which happened to be her safe space.

She had abstained from alcohol from the time she left Baltimore, she'd really tried to show herself that she had the mental strength; the capability to go through her emotions sober and overcome them. But right now, she couldn't do it. She needed a little bit of an escape, she needed her mind messed with for a second before she could resume on being the strong black woman she had been called to be.