12.

Narrator

" Damn, you weren't lying."

Lydia looked on at the ultrasound monitor as Monse was confirming her pregnancy.

" Why would I lie about that?"

" Cause you lied about other things. Saying that it was the prophets and now it's Cesars."

Monse rolled her eyes, not willing to argue because she knew she had nothing else to really say.

" Would you like to know the gender of your baby?"

Monse nodded.

" It's a girl."

Lydia smiled in the inside, but she also knew Monse didn't want the baby. But Monse started crying and instantly Lydia knew this damned girl was going to keep it.

" Thank you."

Monse got her discharge papers and ultrasound photos and the two left out the hospital.

They sat in the car, Monse looking down at her baby girl that was displayed on the white and black photo.

" Do you want to schedule an appointment at the abortion clinic?"

She didn't say anything and Lydia just drove out of the parking lot and onto the streets.

" Would it be bad if I said I wanted to...keep her? I already have names."

" What about school? Your dad doesn't even know."

She remand silent, still looking down at the pictures.

Lydia was getting tired of this constant confusion.

The car stopped.

" We're here."

Monse looked confused. They were right in front of her dad's house.

" I thought you said we would go to your house first."

Lydia shook her head making complete eye contact until Monses face screwed up with frustration.

" You know I don't want to tell him right now!

" So you just gonna wait until you give birth to tell him? Bitch go in there and tell that man."

" Ok, so if you was in this situation would you want to tell your mama."

" Reverse psychology. You almost had me, hell naw I wouldn't want to. But you talking about keeping it and I ain't the one whose pregnant. You is." Lydia pointed both of her pointer fingers at her friend dramatically, pursing her lips.

" You just so messy."

" Yeah, but I ain't the one fucking a prophet but actually pregnant by a Sainto. Sorry my life ain't fucked up like yours."

Lydia hopped out the car, opening up Monses side.

Monse unlocked the door with her keys, hesitantly walking into the house as she heard her father's moving around the kitchen.