1. Domestic Bliss

Hey, folks! This is the sequel to the story The World on Fire. If you haven't read that, you're going to be completely lost on the characters and situations herein. So please go read that first! Thanks! - El

We join the story where we left off, with Tim, Harper, and Rob having been returned from an adjoining world where they had been taken by a humanoid child named Merely the Wind. To return them, Adam had to breach the long-standing taboo against Songs related to portal travel.

***

"And this is the master bedroom with attached full bath and walk-in closet," Adam said, leading Tim into their room.

"Wow." Tim turned, surveying the room. "I love it."

"The cleaning crew and moving crew did a great job. The furniture is all black walnut. The closet is humongous." Adam led Tim to the walk-in, where Tim took the opportunity to push him up against the door frame and plunder his mouth, their bodies slotting together as naturally as springtime and rain. "The kids..." Adam warned.

"I don't care," Tim whispered, then pressed a kiss against his throat, hands slipping under his shirt, "I want to taste you."

"Tim..." Adam protested weakly as Tim pulled Adam's shirt over his head, followed by shedding his own, then pressing them together, skin to skin, as he took Adam's mouth again. "We didn't close the bedroom door," Adam pointed out as Tim's mouth moved down to his throat and then slowly made its way southward.

Tim grinned at him and pushed Adam into the closet, shutting the door behind them. "Is there a light in here?"

"Yeah, hold on." Adam spoke the words to activate the light globe.

Tim kissed him once more, then dropped to his knees, looking up at him with a smirk.

Adam let out a shaky breath then desperately began undoing his jeans.

***

"I think there's some joke in this situation about coming out of the closet," Adam quipped as they emerged, pulling their clothes back on.

"It's not my fault you're so irresistible," Tim replied, spotting the small cooler and box next to the king-sized bed. "Snacks?"

"For tonight," Adam replied.

Tim sat down on the bed to investigate. It was neatly made with the exception of a single pillow. He picked it up. "Is this mine?"

Adam nodded. "I haven't changed the pillowcase. I... It smells of you, though the scent was beginning to fade."

Tim reached out. "I'm sorry I left you."

Adam took his hands, letting himself be pulled against Tim. "I thought you'd died. To be honest, I think I barely survived it."

"God, Adam, what have we gotten ourselves into?"

"The most terrifying and wonderful relationship ever?"

"The wonderful part... Well, if I had to do it all over again, I'd still throw myself off a cliff."

"And the terrifying part?"

"I worry I'm going to hurt you," Tim admitted.

"We survived this. We'll be okay."

"But what if one of us is killed? This isn't exactly the safest world."

"Then we go together, I guess," Adam said. "Lots of couples die within weeks of each other. Granted, it's usually older couples, but it happens. We've got good people who love the girls and will take care of them. It just means we've got to be careful, because it's not just ourselves we're endangering."