10. Graven Images

"We're currently running as a one-room schoolhouse concept with students working on some subjects at their own pace and other projects that aren't as age-restricted as a group," Darlene explained. "Adam and Tim brought you in early so I can get on top of where you are educationally. Do you mind going through the questions together?"

The three boys looked at each other and shrugged. "We're good," Josey answered. The other two nodded.

"Excellent. Now, let me get your full names first of all. We'll start on my left with you, young man."

"I'm Jose Michel Holmwood. Everyone calls me Josey."

"Mmmhm. Spell that, please?"

"J-o-s-e."

"Like José."

"Yup, but pronounced like an ignorant Anglo would say it."

Darlene smiled. "We don't judge names and spellings here. Is Josey -y or -ey or -ie?"

"You just add a Y to Jose. The middle name is how you'd usually spell Michael, but without the A. And the last name is H-o-l-m-w-o-o-d."

"Very good. And how about this young man in the middle?"

"I'm DeJames Rabbet. Do you mind if I don't tell you my middle name?"

"I don't need it if you don't want to share it. Is DeJames D-e then the name James?"

"Yeah. And Rabbet is like the animal, but with an E instead of an I. And everyone calls me Bunbun."

She nodded. "Does that include adults like teachers? I don't want to make you uncomfortable using a nickname that might be exclusive to family or people your own age."

DeJames thought about the question for a moment. "I guess it's more for friends."

"I'll not use it for you, then. And that just leaves you!" She turned to the youth on her right.

"I'm Kamal Leon Deniaud." He quickly spelled it out. "Only nickname I've got is K-man, which is, you know, not usually used by adults."

"Understood." She made some notes. "Now, please, don't be insulted, but I know sometimes kids slip through the cracks of the educational system, which is not their fault and nothing to be ashamed of. Can you all read?"

"Yeah," Kamal answered as DeJames said, "Of course."

Josey hesitated.

Darlene looked up from her notes. "Josey?"

"I can read some," he answered. "I'm just really stupid when it comes to letters and stuff."

"You're not stupid," she replied, quiet but vehement. "You likely have an undiagnosed learning disability. I'll run you through some tests later to see if we can't figure that out so we know how to catch you up."

"You really think you can teach me?" he asked in surprise.

"If you're willing to learn, yes."

"Well, all right!" He grinned and let out a breath. "Here I was worried you were going to make us fill out forms!"

"We try to avoid using up paper unnecessarily," she explained. "Are there any other educational challenges I should know about, or other areas of concern that any of you have?"

"I'm Muslim, so if you serve food here, it needs to be halal," Kamal volunteered.

"Right. We have another student -- JoJo Sisawo -- who is also halal observant. Do you need excused for prayer time?"

"Oh! I... It's been so long since I've even thought about prayer time. I'd like that, yes."

"Very good. Do you have a prayer mat with you?"