5. Rituals

Rob opened the refrigerator and let out a shriek. The three kids all began laughing.

"Is this your doing?" he demanded of Merely, pointing at what looked for all the world like a mummified human head in the fridge where there had been a pot-ready whole tirvit somewhat like a chicken.

"It taste-es the same," Merely replied.

"I am not boiling something that looks like a human head for dinner. Change it back."

Merely sighed loudly as if he were making the most ridiculous demand in the world.

"Seriously, you wouldn't eat that."

Merely shrugged. "Mine people make food look like enemies and eats them."

"Gross!" Oscar exclaimed. "You're like a cannibal."

"They're not a cannibal," Rob responded. "It's a ritual."

Merely hummed a few notes over the head, restoring it to its bird-lizard form.

"Is that Song what you used when you took Harper?"

Merely nodded. "Mine people do so no one misses ones we takes."

Rob considered his newly adopted child. He wasn't as familiar with the old lore as Adam was, but he remembered that the fairy folk were often described as cruel and capricious. He could see hints of that in Merely. "But Adam and Tim did miss Harper," he replied. "Adam was very, very sick when you took her, and thinking she was dead almost killed him."

Merely's eyes widened in surprise. "But if Adan die, Dtim die."

"Yes. And Kendra would have been all alone." Merely contemplated this quietly as Rob pulled out a large pot, cutting boards, and knives, then grabbed various vegetables to wash and dice. He handed a cutting board to Oscar. "Here, cut up the vegetables while I season the mokva."

"Can we cook the arlish separate?" Oscar asked. "It makes everything purple."

"It isn't that purple," Rob replied. "And we want the oniony taste."

"Dada?" Merely said.

"Yeah?"

"Tomorrow me can talk to Dtim and Adan?"

"Sure, hon. We'll go by after school. Are you excited?"

Merely nodded. "Edhan and Occar teached some words on food cans. And how to write mine name."

"That's awesome. You're going to learn so much."

***

"Are you there?" the voice called, soft but alluring.

"I'm here!" Austin answered, sitting up in bed.

"Who you talking to?" Amberly mumbled.

Austin blinked, looking around the bedroom in confusion. "I dunno. I heard someone ask if I was here."

"Ngh." Amberly stretched, then curled close to him. "Probably just dreaming."

"I guess so," he answered, laying back down.

"Come dance with me."

His eyes snapped open. Was he dreaming again?

"The moon is bright. The grass is full of dew. Come and dance."

He slipped out from under the covers, careful to not disturb Amberly. He often had trouble staying asleep early in the night. He was a night owl, and she was used to his restlessness.

Moonlight was spilling in through the windows. He remembered the dream from the night before, beautiful and strange. Had she been real?

He padded through the house, Titus walking alongside, touching his hand with a cold nose. He let the dog outside, stepping out to draw in the crisp night air.