29

Maahi walked down the road to reach the bus stop. With her books hugged close to her chest, her bag over her shoulders, she quietly made her way to the stop. It was a nice warm day in the valley. The imposing mountains looked majestic as they soared into the sky. The birds tweeted all across the valley, deers slinked through the bushes and there was this mildly cool breeze sweeping over the town. Nothing appeared incongruous. All was perfect and serene, which generally implies that nothing can go wrong, but if only. Just as she was about to step into the Sadhna Road (where her bus collects her) and leave the Keshav Complex (the locality just outside her colony and usually a very quiet place), she heard the sound of tyres and a familiar diesel smell approaching her from behind. Before she had time to wheel round and see for herself, she was overtaken by a thundering open wily jeep. She jumped in surprise as her books fell from her hands. She stood gaping in surprise at the familiar handsome face beaming lasciviously from inside the expensive vehicle.
"What is this?? What were you thinking??" she fumed. Karanvir chuckled. Leaping down his jeep, he gathered her books from the ground, blew off the dirt from them, and offered them back to her. That little act of chivalry did nothing to pacify her. She still had disappointment written all over her face. He sighed.
"Good morning gorgeous and I think these books are not helpful to me in any way. I'm not into studies anyway, So.....why not take 'em back." said Karanvir sheepishly. Maahi narrowed down her eyes at him.
"You never answered my questions Sir." she said Sir with contempt. Karanvir bit his tongue to contain his laughter. Why the hell was she so damn adorable?? But seeing that she won't give up until she has answers, he sighed in defeat and prepared himself to respond to her.
"Well, I was just driving down the road and I saw you walking alone so I thought why not offer you a ride to college. Where's your brothers btw??" asked Karanvir, crossing his arms over his chest. Maahi carefully took back her books and looked up at him blankly. She still hadn't forgot what he did yesterday and as a good girl she was, she had decided to keep away from him and not provide him 'hints' of any sort.
"They won't be coming today, they needed a day off for some reason. And now please leave my way, my bus will arrive any minute." she said gruffly. Karanvir's face dropped. He never understood why was she hostile towards him. Ofcourse he wouldn't count his own flaws which led her to behave like this with him. But certainly he never appreciated when she treated him like he treats every other girl/guy/both but not her,he had always treated her like she was a princess. Because she was a princess for him and will always be.
"Why would you wanna go by bus when I am here to drive you to college??" he asked, slightly disgruntled. She huffed.
"Because I don't want to go. Look Sir, I.....I think I need to make things clear today. I do not enjoy your company in any way. I do not like to hang out with guys like you or with guys in general. I don't appreciate when you try to invade my privacy and I certainly don't appreciate when you behave like last night. I think I have cleared everything and I don't think that I need to say any further. You can stop being around me. We are complete strangers and we'll be that for the rest of our lives." she told him loudly. Was it her loudness or the obvious insolence in her words, she never knew but what she knew was that Karanvir surely wasn't in a good mood. His fists were balled, his jaws clenched tightly and his eyes were dark like night itself. Maahi gulped. If she wasn't regretting her little act of bravery few minutes back, then she was surely regretting it now. There was danger written all over his face. Maahi did feel like running back home but she knew it wasn't a great idea, especially when this guy's an athlete. He looked her in the eye and it chilled her to the bone. Now she knows why he needs no weapon, he can kill anyone with that vice look in his eyes.
"Perhaps you forget everytime baby girl that I am a bad guy and you don't get to escape a bad guy THAT EASILY." he hissed, eyes embracing fire. Maahi was literally shivering.
"Le-eave my way please." she said meekly, voice barely audible. He smirked cruelly before moving closer to her. He cocked his head at his side and watched her darkly.
"Never gonna happen baby girl. Now come, be a good girl and climb into the jeep. I don't want you missing you classes." he said cockily. Maahi shook her head.
"I'm not going anywhere with you. Didn't I just tell you....."
"Didn't I just tell you that you can never escape me!!! Hm. Now be quite and get in the car." he hissed. Maahi was literally freaking out but she still had that brave look on her face. Even Karanvir knew that she was feigning bravery, from inside she was this timid cute girl he was obsessed with.
"Please just leave me alone. I am not going anywhere with you. Stop bothering me." she said irritated. Karanvir shut his eyes and drew in a breath. He then grabbed her wrist, dragged her to the jeep, scooped her up in his arms and deposited her on the seat next to his. She yelled all the while but he cared not.
"What are you doing???" she shouted, fear in her eyes. He climbed behind the wheel and shot her a look which spoke danger and unhinged.
"Now baby doll, you are either being complaint or I am kicking your brothers out of the team. Ok." he said hotly. She controlled her tears and sat quietly on her seat, too afraid to look at him. Revving up the engine, he gunned the jeep down the road and towards the college.