36

"Maahi come downstairs quickly." shouted her mother from downstairs. Maahi carelessly tossed her pens inside her bag, zipped it up and ran down the flight of stairs. She was already getting late for her bus. However, as soon as she reaches the hall, she caught the big figure of Karanvir standing propped against the door. Maahi's blood froze. What's this guy's problem?? Why can't he leave her alone?? Besides, what the hell was he doing in her house so early in the morning?? His sight had left her scared and discomfitted.
"There you are. Karanvir is waiting for you since last 15 minutes. What took you so long dear??" asked her mother as she came out of the kitchen with a coffee mug in her hand. With a smile she offered the steaming container of coffee to Karanvir who gladly accepted it.
"But why was he waiting for me??" she asked in a whisper, though he heard it. Her mother sighed.
"He came to fetch you up for college. C'mon quickly have your breakfast and go with him. He's also getting late for his football practice." her mother told her. Maahi gasped loudly as Karanvir smirked cruelly while sipping on his coffee. Was her mother barmy?? Doesn't she understands that this jerk of a boy is scaring the hell out of her daughter?? He's obsessed with her for corn's sakes and here her mother was urging her to travel with him to college. Maahi felt that it was her fault somehow. She hadn't told her parents about Karanvir and his obsession with her. On quite a few occasions she thought to divulge everything to them but everytime karanvir's fear prevented her from going further. However, today she has decided to not go with him alone, comes what may.
"Mom I'll go in the bus...."
"I do not understand what's your problem maahi. Whenever Karanvir offers you a ride to college you always turn him down rudely. Learn to be more respectful maahi. Even though he's such a wealthy, needless to mention busy, guy he still takes out time to drive you to college. If you can't appreciate his efforts than at least don't be so insolent. Stop acting like a child maahi, you're grown up now. He won't eat you ok. Stop fearing him." her mother scolded her. Karanvir's face strained with anxiety. He really felt bad when her mother scolded her so harshly. He never wanted that. Honestly he was now hating her mother for behaving so rudely with his baby girl. He won't allow that. On the other hand, maahi pinned everything on him and believed it was his fault alone that she was being scolded by her mother in this fashion.
"What's all the commotion for??" and comes her father. Bearing his slightly beat-up briefcase, he strode into the hall with a patriarchal superiority which comes onto you naturally when you've the burden of a family on your shoulders. The moment his eyes landed on Karanvir, he grew positive that the noise was linked to him in some way or the other. His eyebrows furrowed.
"What's the matter??" asked the patriarch firmly. Karanvir opened his mouth to complain about his wife's behaviour towards his baby girl. Before him, however, Mrs. Khandewal spoke up.
"Your daughter has ran out of manners. Why not teach her some!! Karanvir has so politely asked to drive her to college and she refused him flat on his face. She does this everytime. I don't understand why she looks for ways to demean him." she cried, hot with anger. Maahi fought back her tears. Mr. Khandewal glared at his wife.
"Just for this spoilt rich brat you're scolding my daughter. What's wrong with you?? Have you also took the membership of 'The Karanvir fanclub' like your fool sons?? How could you??" he yelled at her. Mrs. Khandewal rolled her eyes at him while Karanvir eyed maahi pitifully. He really wanted to just rush to her and capture her in his arms. But if only they weren't here squabbling like chipmunks.
"Stop siding with her Mr. Khandewal. Karanvir is such a good boy...."
"Ofcourse. Born into the family of dope sellers, carrying the reputation of a bad boy, killing people as a form of recreational activity, obviously he's a good kid and you're Marie Curie." fumed Mr. Khandewal. Karanvir really wanted to smash his head against a wall. If they kept on fighting like this than surely maahi wouldn't be able to go to college on time. And Karanvir nohow wanted her to miss her lectures since she was such a studious girl who never missed any of her classes. Karanvir really wanted to see her recieving a Gold medal in the convocation. He was confident that maahi would be the one to achieve that. He would personally make sure that this happens.
"Aren't you speaking too much Mr. Khandewal??" Mrs. Khandewal warned. On ordinary occasions, Mr. Khandewal would've zipped his mouth right this instant, but because he loved his daughter more than he was scared of the prospect of divorce, he held his ground.
"Somebody has to when you apparently love this bad boy more than your own daughter." he retort. Mrs. Khandelwal's eyes widened. This really hit her heart. Was she doing that?? However, she will ponder over that later because at this point, she can't possibly lose to her husband. That would be shameful. Maahi sensing that this conversation was going nowhere and that Karanvir wouldn't leave until she does something, she took matters into her own hands.
"Owww!!" she held her tummy while faking pain. The squabble stopped as they both looked at her in surprise. Karanvir looked at her anxiously.
"Maahi is everything ok??" the three said in unison. Maahi moaned in pain.
"I think it's the cramps. I-I don't think so I would be able to go to college today." she said with difficulty, holding her stomach. Karanvir gasped loudly.
"I'll call a doctor..."
"NO.... that's not needed. I-I'll get alright, it's just the cramps." lied Maahi. Maahi's father studied her for a second. It was apparent that he had realised that she was faking her pain. But why was she doing that??
"I get it dear. You go upstairs and rest. No one's gonna disturb you." said Mr. Khandewal firmly. Karanvir looked at him in shock. What kind of a father was he??
"But.... she's having pain. At least lemme call the doctor." he argued. Mr. Khandewal watched him blankly.
"Thank you Mr. Roy, but I know how to take care of my daughter. You can leave now." he told him flatly. Karanvir balled his fists. If only he wasn't his baby girl's father. He moved closer to him, towering over him with his impressive height.
"Mr. Khandewal, if anything happens to her, you won't appreciate the consequences. Take care of her." he whispered. His voice laced with anger. Mr. Khandewal said nothing but he understood, atleast to a degree, why was his daughter so terrified of him. Karanvir turned his heels to leave but before that he stopped to look at maahi.
"Take care Maahi. Please inform me if the pain doesn't go away. And I sending the doctor right now, I don't care what your father says." he said and left. Maahi was quivering in fear. Mr. Khandewal looks at his daughter.