Eight

Elliot

The afternoon after the boys ran away, we reported them as missing. This allowed for their pictures to be put on TV and in Times Square for everyone to see. If anyone spotted them, they were supposed to call the number that aired below their pictures. My wife and I were even deciding on setting a reward in hopes we find our little boys.

Olivia was exhausted and could barely keep her eyes open as we sifted through different tips that led to nothing.

"I think it's time you go home, baby," I spoke, walking into my office and to where my wife sat at a round table in the corner.

"I'm not going home," Olivia sighed.

"Yes, you are. Especially since you are carrying our child and need as much rest as possible. You are-"

"Elliot, I can't rest until Jasper and Tobias are back here with me. The last thing I want is to fall asleep and wake up to the news that they were found floating in the river or had been kidnapped and taken to Canada or something," Olivia grumbled.

"You are getting a little snippy-" I started, but stopped the moment my wife gave me a glare.

"I'm tired, but I am not snippy or being a brat. I am still capable of doing my job, no matter what condition I'm in," Olivia huffed. She pushed all the papers into a pile before leaving my office. I frowned deeply and scrubbed a hand down my face before stepping back and sitting on the edge of my desk.

We were all stressed out and the one thing we all wanted was to have the boys home with us. For our life to just move forward with no pain or drama, but that will never happen.

"Elliot," Olivia sighed as she came into my office.

"Yes, dear?" I replied.

"The school just called. Jacob has requested we come and pick him up because he doesn't feel good."

I looked at her and nodded.

"I'll get him, and you can go home and take a nap. We can talk to him later," I spoke.

"Elliot, I'm not-"

"As your commanding officer, I am ordering you to go home and sleep. Eat a solid meal and sprawl out on our bed. Got it?" I warned. Olivia crossed her arms across her chest and pouted. 

I would not go down easy, so I just smiled and grabbed my jacket.

"Head out, Sergeant Stabler. You wouldn't want me to suspend you, correct?" I grinned.

"You are an ass," she huffed.

"Yup, but you love me."

///

I arrived at the school about twenty minutes after my wife received the call. Jacob was sitting in the office, his face covered in tears and his hands shaking.

"Buddy, are you okay?" I asked softly, as I squatted down to my son's height.

"Daddy, can we go home?" He hiccupped.

"Yeah, but I need to know what's wrong first. So-"

"Was it my fault?" Jacob whispered.

"What?" I questioned.

"Did I make Jasper and Toby run away?"

I frowned deeply and shook my head. I reached a hand out and smoothed his hair before wiping a tear from his cheek.

"You didn't make them run away. They were angry and did what they thought was right, but it wasn't. Soon they will be home and everything will be okay," I breathed. I pulled my son into a hug before standing with him in my arms. I grabbed his bag before moving and signing him out for the day.

I walked out the side door and stopped when I spotted Lilly walking down the hall with an aide.

"Daddy?" She sniffled, and I nodded.

"Hey, Lils. Do you want to go home too?" I asked, and she nodded.

"Please, Daddy. It's too hard without them here."

///

I ended up taking all of my kids out of school for the day. Maureen said she was fine, but she was even crying when she pulled out of the parking lot. We got home to find Olivia napping, and I sent all my kids to get some sleep. Then I hesitantly went back to the precinct and made calls again.

I called every single person on the list my wife had made up. As I made it to the bottom of the list, I frowned when I saw Serena's number. My wife only had it so we could block it whenever we got new phones or changed numbers. For some reason, I dialed the number and waited for several moments before she picked up the line.

"Hello?" Serena asked. I swallowed hard before speaking.

"Ms. Benson, it's Elliot Stabler. I-"

"Elliot, I just received a call from your sons."

"W-what?" I struggled to speak, my voice shaking.

"I didn't expect it, but I'm actually on my way to pick them up."

"Oh god! Okay! Can you bring them-"

"I'll bring them to the precinct once I get them. They said they are on the beach, but it would have taken them days to reach the beach from where they went missing from their school," Serena spoke, as the sound of her turn signal started.

"They have been missing since Tuesday, Serena. It wouldn't be too far fetch for them to wander that far. But if you give me the address, I'll be there faster than you can. I can run the sirens and lights, and-"

"I'll get them, Elliot. They called and asked for me, so that is what I'm going to do. I'll be there soon, I promise. But get Olivia there. I want to see her," Serena spoke before hanging up.

I set the phone back onto its cradle before letting out a shaky breath and standing. I walked from my office and into the squadroom.

"Everyone, listen up!"

"Stabler, what's happening?" Fin asked.

"Olivia's mother received a call from the boys. They are at a beach and she is picking them up as we speak. Someone call an ambulance. I don't know what state they will be in when they arrive, so we must be prepared for the worst. Uh, Amanda and Nick... please head out to my house. Pick up my wife and bring her back... just don't tell her what's happening."