Twelve

Elliot

I tied up a few loose ends before heading home. I needed sleep, and I also needed to see my wife and children. When I arrived at home, my wife's vehicle wasn't in the driveway. 

"Dad?" Lilly whispered the moment I opened the front door. My daughter stood up from where she had been sitting in my recliner. I gave her a small smile as I shut the door.

"Lils, you should really be sleeping."

"Are the boys okay?" She asked.

"They are hungry, cold, and tired. But they will be okay," I replied. 

Lilly sat back down in my chair and waited for me to get my shoes off. I walked over and lifted her up, before sitting down and holding her close. I rocked us back and forth for a few long moments, before hearing her speak again.

"Was it my fault?" Lilly asked.

"No, pumpkin. It was not... Toby and Jasper are angry at me and Mama."

"Mama must be really sad, Daddy. She didn't even come home..." Lilly trailed off with a yawn.

"She'll come home soon, baby. I think she just needs to clear her mind, and hopefully she's somewhere safe right now so she can do that."

We continued to rock until Maureen came downstairs. She didn't smile when she looked at me, and I'm assuming it's because I called her mother a jerk and suspended her.

"When can we visit the twins?" Maureen asked.

"We can head up around noon," I replied plainly.

"Will Mom be there?" Maureen questioned, and I shook my head as Lilly snuggled against my chest.

"Probably not."

"Great. Gotta love when things just keep getting messier," Maureen grumbled.

///

Olivia

I spent my entire morning and afternoon with my mother. She went with me to get my pregnancy confirmed, and held me when I cried over the fact I'm ten weeks pregnant. I was good at having three boys and three girls. I liked the balance of it, but clearly our family wasn't nearly as balanced as I had thought. 

At around four that afternoon, she and I went to the hospital to see the boys. I knew they didn't want to see me, but my mother insisted that I join her either way. When we reached their room, I saw the rest of my children in there. Elliot was sitting in the corner of the room, his phone held to his ear. I felt as my phone vibrated, but I didn't answer it since I knew it was him.

"Gonna go in?" Serena asked, her arm wrapped around my waist. 

"They hate me, Mom. They didn't even want me to look at them through a freaking window," I mumbled. My phone buzzed again, but stopped suddenly when Elliot spotted me and walked from our sons' room.

"Where have you been?" Elliot demanded. I frowned before glancing at my mother.

"She showed up at my apartment this morning and we've been spending the day together," my mother answered.

"Olivia, did you really spent your day with her? You hate her!" Elliot yelled. I swallowed hard before turning and walking away. 

Elliot yelled after me and caught me before I reached the elevator. 

"Olivia-"

"Stop being mean to me and yelling at me! I get you are my boss and have the right to suspend me for disobeying orders... or being a jerk as you said... But I'm also your wife! I should be treated with respect, instead of getting bitched at during this hard time!" I yelled.

"You-"

"I couldn't go home to you because we are fighting. I couldn't go home to the kids because they hate me. So I went to Serena. She talked to me and made me feel better... even if it was only for a few minutes. She went with me to confirm my pregnancy and held me when I freaked out afterwards. I can't be around you right now because all you do is scold me!"

Elliot swallowed hard and raked his fingers through his hair. I stepped back and requested the elevator, hoping that Elliot wouldn't join me. The last thing I wanted was to be super close to Elliot, when all I want to do is be away from him. I want to ignore him.

"Jasper and Toby think we don't love them as much as the other kids. They said that Lilly cries all the time, but we don't scold her for it. That Mo and Kathleen can't do anything wrong. And they think we didn't yell at Jacob after the fighting, yet I know we did. They are confused and angry, and all we can do is give them time to process this all."

"Where can they process this, Elliot? Because if they come home with us, I won't have a place to sleep. I gotta keep my distance in hopes they don't run away again," I huffed. Elliot ran a hand over his neck before speaking again.

"Ma offered to take the boys for a few days until they are feeling more like themselves and want to discuss this."

"No."

"Olivia-"

"Serena should take them," I blurted out. 

Elliot's eyes went wide and his jaw dropped.

"No, Liv. They aren't going with the woman that beat the shit out of you and killed Kathy. Got it?" Elliot warned.

I blinked away hot tears. I hated the tone he was using with me, but I didn't have any fight left in me.

"Fine, they won't be staying with Serena. The kids can go home with your mother, and you can take care of the others," I sighed.

"What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to stay with my mother. I'm suspended, and I won't need to stay home to take care of the boys because they won't be there. Maureen, Kathleen, Jacob, and Lilly can have fun with you while I get to be in time out for a while."