Fifteen

Olivia

The eyes of my kids went wide as their eyes dropped to my belly. I ran a hand over my stomach before glancing back at where my husband stood. The twins weren't anywhere to be seen, and I knew that I should have waited and told the kids all together.

"I thought you and Dad were done having kids..." Kathleen trailed off, as Lilly's eyes filled with tears. 

"We were... but clearly we can't do things correctly... It's my fault-"

"It takes two people to make a baby, Mom," Maureen replied quickly. I swallowed hard, before brushing a tear from my cheek.

"It's time for you four to head to school. Say goodbye to your mother and head out," Elliot called from the front door. Kathleen, Jacob, and Lilly said nothing as they walked away from me. Maureen reached out and stroked my arm before smiling at me.

"I'll see you later, Mama. Just don't let him get to you, okay?" She breathed.

"I don't think you'll see me-"

"You better be here when we get home. We haven't seen you in weeks, and I've missed you," Maureen replied. I nodded slowly, before hugging my eldest tightly.

"I love you, Mo. Have a good day at school."

"I love you too, Mama."

I waited for my kids to leave before walking up the sidewalk and to where my husband stood. I stopped at the bottom of the stairs and shoved my hands into the pockets of my jeans.

"I'm surprised to see you," Elliot admitted.

"You said the boys wanted me, and told me to come home and see them. So here I am," I whispered.

Elliot looked me over for a moment before stepping back. I closed my eyes in anticipation of him slamming the door in my face, but instead, he cleared his throat. My eyes fluttered open, and I looked at my husband.

"Gonna come in?"

"I-i thought... nevermind," I whispered. I walked into the house and looked around for Jasper and Tobias. 

"They are still sleeping. Mo and Kathleen brought them home late last night. Like to the point I was making Lilly and Jacob get ready for bed," my husband spoke.

"Do you need help around here while we wait for them to wake up? I could do chores-"

"Why don't you just hang out... We could talk," Elliot offered. My eyes went wide, and I nodded slowly.

"Can we talk over tea or coffee?"

"Of course. Let me go whip something up."

///

My husband and I sat together on the back porch with cups of decaf coffee in our hands. Elliot had checked on the boys before he joined me outside, and they had yet to stir. 

"How are you feeling?" 

"I'm okay."

"Any morning sickness? What about your levels? Is the baby fine?" Elliot asked. I took a sip of my coffee before speaking.

"I still get sick to my stomach a few times a week, but other than that, I'm fine. My levels are growing as they should, and the baby is fine. In a few weeks I'll have another ultrasound, if you'd like to attend," I breathed. My husband smiled softly, as he reached out gently touched my midsection. 

"I'd love to go, Liv. But will I be meeting you there, or are we going together?" Elliot mused. I shrugged, as I leaned forward and sat the mug on the deck. 

"I honestly don't think the kids are excited about the baby, so maybe I'd be better off just staying with my mother. The last thing the kids need, especially the twins, is to think I love them less because I'm having another baby. If I'm not here, then maybe they will forget about me and just get used to having you raise them."

Elliot frowned as he looked at me. I forced myself to keep my eyes locked on the jungle gym that Elliot and I put up last fall. It was already well loved, but it had been getting less use since the boys weren't here for so long.

"Are you just going to abandon our family?" Elliot asked bitterly.

"It's not abandoning when no one wants me here, El."

"The kids were so excited to see you, Olivia!" Elliot exclaimed. I finally turned to look at him as I shook my head.

"They were probably in shock, and didn't know what was happening," I replied stubbornly. I was certain that my kids didn't want me around, so I would not force them to be around me.

"They were excited to see you, but shocked to know that you were pregnant! We told the kids that we were done after the twins. Three boys and three girls was enough for us. Yet now we are having another baby that will throw things off. It will get better though, and even if I really didn't want you here... it's important that you are," Elliot spoke passionately.

"Why didn't you want me here?" I asked, even if I knew the reason.

"You were acting childish and like a jerk. You made matters worse when you ran to Serena after the boys decided they didn't like you anymore... Then offering for Serena to take the boys-"

"She's changed, even if you'll never believe that. Anyway, if we are going to keep fighting like this, then maybe I shouldn't come home. We can discuss custody and-"

"Custody?" Elliot asked, his voice shaking. 

"Don't you want a divorce or something? If the boys are worse with me around, then it makes sense that I'm not around. Maybe they will stop fighting with Jacob if I leave the equation. So I guess the next step would be-"

"Daddy, can I have some cereal?" Jasper asked as he slid open the back door. Elliot and I turned to look at him, and my son's eyes went wide. Elliot stood slowly before squatting down in front of our son.

"Why don't you wake up Toby? I'll be in soon to get you-"

"I thought she wasn't here," Jasper whispered. I stood slowly as tears burned my eyes.

"I'll leave, Jasper. I don't want to make you or Toby to be uncomfortable. Just be good for Daddy, and know that I love you two so much," I breathed, before walking off the deck and to the gate.

I was just about the shut it, when someone yelled and I stopped in my tracks.