Seventeen

Elliot

I couldn't sleep the night I saw my wife for the first time in several weeks. All I could think about was how horrible our sons were behaving, and how Olivia didn't feel safe in our home. If those boys got angry enough, they could totally injury my wife and maybe end her pregnancy if they hit her in the right spot.

I spent most of my time downstairs in the kitchen, as I researched child therapists and drank a pot of coffee.

"What are you doing up?" Maureen asked as she came into the kitchen. It was a little after two, and I didn't know why she'd even be awake.

"Couldn't sleep. Why are you up?" I replied. She sighed softly and sank down in the chair across from me.

"Mama wasn't here when we got home like she promised me," Maureen frowned.

"Yeah, I know... things got complicated, and it wasn't safe for her being here," I frowned.

"It isn't safe? What do you mean?"

I stood and refilled my mug before grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge for my daughter. I sat back down before speaking again.

"Jasper and Tobias both tried to hurt her while she was here. They lunged at her, and I was able to catch them in time. But they were aiming for her belly, and we know why that wouldn't be a good place to hit your mother right now."

Maureen swallowed hard as she ran a hand over her forehead.

"She can't live with Serena forever, Dad. She needs to be here, and so does the baby. Okay?"

"I know that, Mo. But it isn't that simple. Your brothers need help before we can bring her back home. They gotta figure out how to process what is happening, and why they are blaming your mother and I for punishing them. Jacob also got in trouble, but he didn't run away. He didn't hurt your mother... Something is just wrong," I frowned. Maureen nodded weakly as tears welled in her eyes.

"Today is the last day of school... So starting on Monday, we have everyday all day to miss Mama. No more distractions. In all reality, I'd pick her over them."

///

The next morning, the older four kids went to finish up school for the year and I continued researching therapists while the twins slept in. At around ten, my mother showed up. I hadn't seen her since she took the twins home, since they acted out around me. 

"Ma," I said with a tired smile as I opened the front door.

"Hey, El. How are the boys doing?" She asked, as I let her into the house. I shut the door before turning to look at her.

"They are acting out still, and they tried to attack Olivia yesterday."

"Olivia is here? I thought she was staying with her... mother," my mother replied. I sighed softly before nodding.

"She isn't right now, but she came over to see the boys yesterday. They went after her, but I was able to stop them. Now, how can I help you?"

"Do you think she's their trigger?" My mother questioned.

"No, I don't. I think they are still angry, and just taking it out on one of the two people that made them angry. They think we don't treat them fairly, Ma. When Jacob and them fought, we punished all three of them equally. We didn't play favorites, and all the kids would agree with me on that," I sighed.

"El-"

"What if they are bipolar? Or autistic? They could have ADHD! There are so many things that could be wrong with them, but what if no one can figure it out? I want my wife to come home, and I want my sons to be happy again! I want to see them smile and insist on sleeping bed with me and Liv! Olivia and I have done everything in our power to make sure our kids want for nothing. They have eat three solid meals a day along with way too many snacks. They have beds to sleep in and clean clothes to wear. They were happy until they weren't," I exclaimed passionately.

///

Olivia

My mother joined me at the kitchen table and glanced down at my laptop. I was busy looking for apartments, since I really doubt I'll be going home before the baby is born. I also don't want to for my mother to live in a tiny apartment with a newborn.

"Are you planning on moving?" She asked, as I scrolled further down the page to look at the listing.

"Yeah," I replied plainly.

"Olivia-"

"I will not force you to live in your own apartment with me and a newborn. So, I'm going to get out of here. I'll find a place that is cheap, and I'll figure out some place to work," I sighed.

"Liv, you are a cop. That is your job, and maybe it's time to go back. Have Elliot lift your suspension," she smiled.

"I don't even think he's working right now... Anyway, the last thing I can do is run after perps. Elliot would probably kill me if he found out I did that," I grumbled as I shut my laptop.

My mother frowned deeply before reaching out and grabbing my hand. It was so weird when my mother ever so gently touched me or pulled me into a hug. I was not used to her loving me.

"You can be on desk duty if necessary or just don't do things that will put you and the baby in danger. Maybe you should also go back and see the twins. Maybe-"

"Maybe they will pull out a baseball bat and whack me right in the stomach. Then they won't have to stop being the babies and I could go back to work after six weeks of recovery," I huffed. My mother sighed and shook her head.

"Maybe they need to get used to you again. After what happened, maybe forcing them into the old schedule and home life would be for the best. For them, you, Elliot, and the other kids."