Chapter Two

"So where do you plan to go after this?"Winnie one of the directors at New Beginnings asked me as I signed some documents to show that I'd actually reported at the halfway house and completed my time there.

I had completed my mandatory twenty four hours and it was time for me to go.

"Wherever the wind takes me."I replied with a shrug.

"That's not much of a plan but we can't keep you here involuntarily. But at least get some breakfast before you leave."She requested me when I gave back the clipboard.

"That's I won't say no to."I grinned at her making my way to the dining hall.

I'd spent a whole day at the center going through counseling as they tried to equip me for life on the outside. They were just repeating most of what Hattie had told me anyway. I would be fine. At least I'd found some more clothes that I liked in their donation box. I was wearing a black baseball shirt, camouflage pants and my vans.

I picked a plate from the table, a box of juice, a bottle of water and a box of milk and sat down

I picked a plate from the table, a box of juice, a bottle of water and a box of milk and sat down. It was probably too much but I was hungry and their food was better than what they served in prison.

I took my time enjoying my breakfast before I packed up all my stuff, including my new clothes and signed out at reception

"Now if you would please be kind enough to point me in the direction of the bus terminal I will very grateful."I requested Winnie after successfully signing out.

She smiled at me and told me exactly how to get to Port Authority bus terminal.

"There are others but that one has interstate buses with multiple routes, you can figure out your destination there."She informed me.

"Thank you for your hospitality Winnie."I bid her farewell.

"Good luck Savannah and take care of yourself."She requested.

I nodded at her and made my way out of the halfway house. I was completely free to go wherever I wanted and do whatever I wanted, as long as it was legal. Following Winnie's directions, I made my way through the city trying to find a reason to stay in new York but finding none. There were too many people, it smelled funny and one could easily get lost with one wrong turn. I was born and raised in New York but the city felt more and more strange to me with ever step I took.