Chapter Twenty Six

"Okay guys, are you ready? I hear him coming."I whispered.

"Luke stop stepping on my foot."Ivy cried.

"I'm not, you're the one practically sitting on my face."Luke whisper yelled.

"Guys please be quiet he's almost here."I pleaded with them as the footsteps got closer.

The unmistakable heavy steps thudded down the stairs headed directly for the kitchen just like we anticipated. The kids finally calmed down and behaved right on time. He walked into the kitchen, noticed the light was off so he switched it on right on time for us to jump up and scream "Happy Birthday!!!"

Nathan stood frozen just past the kitchen entrance clutching his hand over his chest.

"Happy birthday papa!"The kids yelled again and rushed to him burying him in a group hug.

Nathan recovered quickly and hugged them back kissing the top of their heads.

"Thank you so much."He choked out his voice laden with emotion.

He looked up at me and smiled mouthing thank you at me. I nodded and blew him a kiss. If any deserved an awesome birthday it was Nathan and I had done my best to plan the best day ever for him.

"We made breakfast, we have a cake and gifts."Clara announced excitedly as they broke the hug.

"Did you really make breakfast or did Savannah do it and you're taking all the credit?"Nathan asked.

"Well we helped."Ivy defended.

"That's good enough for me, thank you my darlings."Nathan replied picking Clara up.

I'd gone all out for Nathan's special day starting with a special breakfast for the whole family. When Ivy said that they helped she meant that they had set the table for me while I did all the cooking. The kids were a mess in the kitchen but I was taking it upon myself to teach them how to cook. It was an important life skill to have.

"Wow, this looks really great."Nathan exclaimed looking at the mini feast I had prepared.

"Sit down everyone

"Sit down everyone."I demanded and everyone took their place with Nathan at the head of the table with me on his left side.

"I'll pray."Ethan offered and we all held hands to say a quick word of prayer.

"How come you guys are up so early?"Nathan asked when we ended the prayer.

"We wanted to spend time with you before we went to school."Daniel explained.

"That's very thoughtful of your guys, thank you."Nathan replied.

The level of reverence the kids had for Nathan was a wonder to behold. They knew he always went all out for their birthday so this time they had joined forces, with my help to make sure Nathan had a great thirtieth birthday. He deserved so much more than we had to offer but we had done our best.