Chapter Nine

I finished setting up breakfast and realized it was time to wake Clara up. I could hear the rest of the kids already up and about getting ready for the day. I ran into Nathan on my way up the stairs looking fresh, well rested and devilishly handsome as always.

"Good morning sir."I greeted him politely.

"I thought we agreed to drop the formalities."He groaned.

"It'll take some getting used to but I'm trying."I replied.

He was a figure of authority to me so I had to address him with respect. I had been like that for the last ten years and it would take a while for me to stop.

"We'll get there. Do you need help waking Clara up?"He asked me knowing where I was headed.

I desperately wanted to say yes but then I realized it was my job.

"I need to learn, I'll be okay."I assured him.

"That's the can do attitude that got you this job in the first place, good luck."He replied with an encouraging smile.

I smiled appreciatively stepping aside to let him pass. His cologne wafted in my nose and I resisted the urge to pull him in for a hug. The fact that I'd never been with a man was making me desperate. I needed to sort my feelings out and soon before I went crazy.

I blinked rapidly to get rid of those thoughts skipping up the rest of the stairs.

I quietly walked into Clara's room and drew the curtains letting light stream in. She looked so peaceful sleeping under the covers that I felt guilty waking her up but she needed to get ready for school. I sat on the bed and pulled the covers back exposing her body to the morning chill. She curled into herself pulling her teddy bear closer to her chest.

"Clara, sweetheart, time to get up."I whispered gently shaking her awake.

"Nah-uh."She mumbled in her sleep burying her face further into the pillow.

"Yes, it's time for school."I whispered pulling her teddy bear away.

I knew for a fact that nobody liked being woken up especially on Monday mornings so I had to be gentle. I brushed her hair off her face caressing her cheek gently. It was also my first time waking up a child or anyone for that matter so I had to be careful.

Her eyes fluttered open the green orbs laden with sleep.

"There's my beautiful girl, good morning."

"Good morning Savannah."She yawned struggling to sit up.

I helped her up and she surprised me by hugging me. I chuckled and hugged her back getting up with her in my arms. I walked towards the door leading to the bathroom she shared with her sister and knocked softly since I could hear Ivy in there. I didn't want to walk in on her in a state she wouldn't appreciate me seeing her in.

"Come in."Ivy called out.

I opened the door and walked in setting Clara down on her feet.

"Good morning Ivy."I greeted Ivy who was busy drying her hair fully dressed and ready for school.

"Morning."She replied sparing me a glance and a small smile.

"Ivy get out, I need to get ready for school."Clara demanded fully awake.

"Clara that's not polite."I corrected her.

"It's fine, I'm done anyway."Ivy replied putting her hair up in a pony tail.

She was out of the bathroom a minute later leaving Clara and I alone.

"That wasn't a nice thing to say to your sister."I said squatting infront of her to help her take off her pajamas.