Chapter Three

Job searching was a menace, something designed by corporate America to keep lowly citizens like me down. I'd been to every business in Woodcreek for the past three days be it a bank, restaurant, store and yet I got the same answer, sorry we're not hiring at the moment, yet in some places I could clearly see the help wanted signs on the doors. They should have just been honest with me and said that they didn't want to hire me because I was black and with a criminal record. I'd known it would be hard but I didn't think it would actually be that hard.

I found yet another agricultural retailer store, typical for a county whose main business was ranches and decided to try my luck.

"Please let this one be the one."I muttered out to the universe.

Hopefully someone out there was listening to me. I desperately needed a job. My savings wouldn't keep me forever and I hadn't even bothered to check how much my mom had left me. It probably wasn't that much anyway so I did need to find work to survive.

I walked up to the counter where yet another white bubbly southern girl in a cowgirl outfit, booty shorts, cropped shirt, cowboys boots and a stetson was perched. I felt like they were placed there to attract the male customers and with how much cleavage they were showing, I wasn't wrong to assume that. It was either that or the girls in Texas didn't like being clothed.

"Hi welcome to Wilbur Family General Store, what can I do for your today?"She chirped without looking at me.

They always started like that until they saw me and my resume then everything changed. I waited for her to look at me and when she did, her eyes widened in surprise but her smile didn't fade. Huh, that's a first.

"Good afternoon miss, I'm here to see if you have any job openings available."I asked her placing my resume on the counter top infront of her.

Her eyes were still glued on me in fascination so I snapped my fingers to gain her attention. She blinked and her smile got wider as she finally focused on me.

"Sorry about that, I've just never seen someone look so beautiful yet so handsome at the same time. I apologize for staring, I didn't mean to be rude."She apologized a pink blush coating her cheeks.

Wait did I really just hear her say that? She was complimenting me and it was in the oddest of ways. I would take it though, nobody had been that nice ever since I landed in Texas, apart from the elderly driver.

"Thank you, the pretty is from my mom, the handsome is from prison."I replied putting it all out there so she could reject me already.

"You went to prison?"She choked out her eyes wide.

"Yes, everything you need to know about me is on my resume."I said pointing at the sheet of paper I'd given her.

"Oh yeah right, sorry."She mumbled embarrassed yet again.

The fact that I could affect women was a huge boost on my ego and the little miss infront of me was right on track.

"It's okay."I replied giving her time to read through it.

"Savannah Grace, that's a beautiful name."She muttered under her breath but I managed to catch it.

My name was not that unique but if she thought it was beautiful then I would take it.

"Thank you, Freya is a beautiful name too."I replied reading the name tag on her shirt.

She blushed yet again, refusing to look at me, her eyes darting through my resume.

"Thanks."She whispered in the cutest voice making me chuckle.

She was making it too easy to mess with her honestly.