Chapter Thirty One

NATHAN'S POV

I looked at the rocking chair in the front porch slowly swaying with the evening breeze and found myself getting sad all over again. The only reason I was seated outside alone in the cold was to escape thinking about her being gone for a minute but that was proving to be impossible. She had made her mark and left her touch on every single surface of our house. Kane and Kora lay next to the chair looking sad as if understanding the solemn energy around the ranch. They always sat by her feet as she read on most nights, feeding them treats every couple of minutes. If the dogs were feeling her absence who was I not to be affected.

"Come on Nathan, not this again."Freya groaned walking towards me.

She handed me a cup of coffee and took a seat next to me with her own cup in hand.

"What do you mean not this again?"I retorted.

"I mean this, you acting like a sad sack and ruining everyone's mood. It's only been three days and you seem like you've already lost hope."Freya explained.

"I haven't."I replied.

"Then what's with the sad face?"Freya inquired.

"As I was putting Clara down she asked me if I will die next since my penguin mate has died. I haven't lost hope but the kids have and its affecting them."I answered.

Freya smiled sadly at me and patted my arm comfortingly.

"Kids mimic what we adults do. If they see you sad and depressed then that's the mood they will portray too. You need to give them hope that Savannah will be back. I know she is. My best friend is a badass and she'll surprise us all soon. I refuse to lose hope and neither should you." She asserted.

I gave her a tight smile and took a sip of my coffee. Freya had no idea but Savannah was my best friend too. She was also my rock, my love and the mother to our current and future kids. I had not lost hope that she would come back to us but it had been three days of no news and no leads which was getting me worried. I had called the Sheriff's office so many times they were probably going to block my number soon.

Freya had come at the house to help me out with the kids until Savannah came back. I didn't even ask her to. She just showed up with a bag the morning after the kidnapping with donuts for everyone and camped out in the extra bedroom downstairs. Her presence was welcome and she was helping a lot with the kids but she was not the woman I wanted to be drinking coffee with as we stargazed. I wanted my Savannah back.

"Did they find any leads in the blue truck?"Freya asked.

"No, the fucker wiped it clean before swapping it for another."I replied.

The police had found the blue truck Ethan had described ditched at the end of town. There had been no tire tracks leading away from it so it's like they had vanished into thin air. They could have been halfway across the country by now or in Mexico while we just say there praying for a miracle. Texas was a huge state so I was hopeful that he hadn't crossed state lines with her but still it was a long shot.

"What if she's not back for Christmas?"I whispered fearfully.

"Dude Christmas is like a month away, she'll not be gone that long and stop thinking like that."Freya gritted out getting pissed at me.

I tried my best but sometimes the voice of doubt invaded my mind and I couldn't stop myself from overthinking.

Freya was about to say something else when we saw two headlights shine in the distance meaning a car was approaching. It was past ten pm so I had no idea who would be visiting at such an hour. I didn't recognize the truck as it approached and stopped right infront of the house a couple of feet away from Freya and I.