Chapter Five

Am I an idiot for even thinking to ask this question?

I know there's no such thing as a stupid question and all that, but considering I read a thick book on this very topic not even two weeks ago, maybe this time there is? I don't know.

What I do know is that Adam Faulkner is looking at me expectantly.

I raise one finger in the air and take a sip from my water bottle so that I can buy myself some more time to look like an idiot.

For once, I'm not even thinking about Angelo. Because what I want to do with him is so over the line even I can see that. No questions need to be asked about that. But Keith and some of the other guys have been so friendly and welcoming that I feel like I should at least try, right?

I've made up my mind, then.

"Actually, there is something I want to ask."

Adam invited me to his office this morning to see how my first few weeks have gone with the team. So far, I've conducted almost all my intake sessions. Angelo's was the most interesting by far, but Keith is also an absolute riot. I can't complain though, everyone was great. Well, almost everyone.

Adam waves his hand in a go-ahead motion. "Please, we want you to feel comfortable asking us anything you may wish to know. If you haven't already felt it, I hope you will soon: The Saints are a family, and you joined it the moment you signed on with us."

Oh wow. This man can give a nice little speech.

"Thank you for saying that. I have felt it, believe me. The players have been great so far. Very welcoming."

Adam's kind eyes soften further.

"I'm glad. I hope you haven't encountered any issues so far."

No. Well. Kind of. I wouldn't call Mac Johnson an issue, more of a pain. He was the only player I met with that seemed resistant to my role on the team. It was almost as if he was taking it personally that he had to talk to me, like he wanted to be better than some guy who needed to speak to a sport psychologist. I was raised better than to take things personally, so I decided to do a little digging. According to SportsCast, Johnson has been sent down to the minors thrice this season. He's a former first-round pick who's seriously underperforming, so I'm guessing his ego is bruised. The sad thing is that I think I could really help him if he let me. There's no shame in the sport psychology game.

"Not at all," I half lie. I'll see if the Johnson situation improves before I bring it up to Faulkner. I still have a few tricks up my sleeve. "Quite the opposite, actually. Some of the guys are inviting me to hang out—"

Faulkner's eyebrows raise.

"I mean, offering me and some friends tickets to their games, wanting me to meet their girlfriends, things like that. I've been hesitant, because I want more than anything to abide by the rules, so I wanted to clear it with you first."

Lie. What I want is to see Angelo, but I can't tempt myself like that, so I'll have to stick to being friendly with Keith and avoid Bradford.

Adam throws back his head and laughs softly. He really is a good-looking guy. Get your head out of the gutter, Harlow.

"Of course, that's okay. In fact, I welcome it. I'm glad to hear that some of the guys—let me guess, Keith—are taking the initiative to include you. It'll only be a matter of time before we have some team events and you'll meet everyone's partners. Mine, included. Shannon was really excited to have another woman join us, so she'll love meeting you."

His wife, Shannon, is pretty in a girl-next-door way. I've only seen her in photos on Adam's desk and as much as I tried not to snoop, her smile just catches your eye.