Chapter Twenty-Seven

Like 99% of people who attend Saints home games, my friends and I took the subway to the Maille Arena. Bypassing the traffic makes the night out astronomically less stressful, and don't even get me started on the downtown Toronto parking situation. Of course, this meant that we had to subway back to our apartment as well. (Scar, the lucky duck just had to wait in the family room for Keith.) Other than telling the girls that Angelo seemed okay, I was quiet on the subway. The ride was only a few stops and not conducive to deep conversations. My mind, however, was far from silent. I was busy making a mental list of things I wanted to bring. I didn't want to be presumptuous, but I did want to be comfortable for a variety of situations.

The night air was fresh as we walked the short distance from the subway station to our apartment—a perk of our location. Jules and I hugged Elise and Rebecca goodbye before they got into Elise's car. They had parked outside our building so that we could head over to the game together. The start of our night seems so long ago now. Funny how all I had been worried about then was the Saints laying an egg on the ice.

"How are you handling tonight?" Jules asks as the elevator ascends to our floor.

As much as I love our place, the one thing it has going against it is the fact that I need to take an elevator at least twice daily. I'd rather not.

"It could have been worse."

I need to let that fact comfort me. Usually, I think the whole it could have been worse idea is damaging, but it does make sense for this situation. So far, the injury doesn't seem nearly as bad as everyone first feared.

"That all?" Jules says.

The unspoken part is what's most important: I was scared shitless.

I lift my shoulder in an I appreciate your support, but I don't want to talk about it shrug.

"So, did you already call the Uber or should I?"

The elevator doors slide open and Jules steps out, walking backwards as she assesses me with an amused tilt of her eyebrow.

"How did you—"

"Come on, Harlow. I know you. So am I right or am I right? Are you heading over to Angelo's tonight?"

This girl should be on a game show or something. Nothing gets past her.

"Am I that easy to read or are you the world's most perceptive person?"

Jules winks as she unlocks our apartment door. "Both. To be fair, this is a compliment. You care so much about the people closest to you that I had no doubt you'd want to be there for him."

"Aw, thanks Jules." I lay my head briefly on her shoulder as I kick off my boots.

Shifting into action mode, I whiz off to the kitchen and grab the container of homemade granola bars from the fridge that I whipped up this morning. Then I set off to my room to pack a bag.

"And since you offered," I say, pausing mid-stride. "I'd appreciate it if you call an Uber."

"Wow, I set myself up for that one, didn't I?" Jules quips as she picks up her phone.

"Oh yeah, you kind of did."

Twenty minutes after I finish shoving some sweats, undergarments, and hygiene items into my tote bag, I'm being dropped off by my new friend, Tony the Uber Driver, in front of Angelo's building.

As I thank Tony and scoot out of the back seat, I see the time on the dash. It's a few minutes before midnight. I should be tired; exhausted. I did some chores this morning and just a bit of work— plus tonight's festivities—but it hasn't hit me yet.