Chapter Twenty-Two

You know, I can't say that I've ever had a bad day at the Maille Arena, but days like today are the best kind, by a long shot.

This place has an almost indescribable energy. There's a near constant buzz, like what happens here—even the most minuscule things—matter. And that's probably because of how much this team means to the (mostly) good folks of Toronto. Let's put it this way: if the hockey players are the Saints, then this arena is heaven.

But today, the energy is magnified ten-fold. I sensed it as soon as I entered the arena for my mid-morning meeting with Adam. For one thing, the team was playing a home game this evening, against their division and provincial rival of Ottawa. According to Angelo and Keith—and hell, even Scar—those games are always hard fought. Although Toronto is a better team overall and has consistently occupied a higher place in the standings, year in and year out, Ottawa always tends to bring their best when they play the Saints. It's a toss-up of who'll win, and much closer than it probably should be. The team had finished their morning skate not too long before I arrived, and the players had boisterously been hanging around. Taping their sticks ahead of the game, kicking a soccer ball around to stay loose, or talking to an enthusiastic host in front of a mini camera crew.

Because that was the other thing. The Saints Gala was a mere week away, and the team was busy shooting some promotional content ahead of it.

"A lot of it is silly," Adam explains after I ask him about it during our meeting. "The players will answer some funny 'this or that' questions or do some ridiculous challenges with each other. Fun stuff."

"Sounds amazing."

Colour me intrigued. I'm definitely going to watch every minute of the published clips that contain Angelo. I wonder if I could even bother the crew to see all of the behind-the-scenes footage that features him. If that wasn't suspicious, I'd ask. I'm not too proud to ask for things I want.

"It's meant to show fans the players' lighter sides, but it's also meant to give the players themselves a chance to cut loose. We know playing in Toronto can be a pressure cooker, so we want to show them it doesn't have to feel so life or death all the time."

"Well, I'm sure the fans enjoy watching the content."

It's the perfect amount of breadcrumbs, really. The fans will be able to see enough personal content of their favourite players to feel like they're let in on secrets. At the same time, nothing incriminating will be shared that can make the fans turn on the player.

"That they do," Adam agrees. "Players also speak about how much they love the city and the fans, and it's all genuine. I'm sure the fans love that part, too."

Images of my dad and brother cheering in front of the TV flood my mind. I have no doubt they'd love to hear the likes of Angelo Bradford and Keith Morgan profess their love for Toronto.

"For sure." I glance down at my notebook, scanning my talking points for this meeting. "I think yesterday's session with the team went well. We focused on the importance of not underestimating or playing down to your opponent."

Adam nods, like I'm not telling him anything he doesn't already know. "I heard good feedback from the coach and some players. The team should be ready to go tonight."

If I did my job, yeah.

These are the situations that make me take deep breaths in the comfort of my own home. I was given a specific task: to mentally prepare the team for the game tonight against Ottawa. If the players go out and lay an egg, am I to blame, at least partially? But then again, how much can I really be responsible for? Being so tied to an outcome that I can't control makes me uncomfortable, but that's life and I'm trying to work on that.