Chapter Thirty

All good things must come to an end, and what a good thing this five-game homestand has been. Despite me derailing the pre-game meeting—or maybe because of it—the Saints played a dominant game that evening and earned the win easily. To be fair, they did play one of the worst teams in the league, but sometimes those are the hardest games to win. The team anticipates an easy game, takes their foot off the gas, and then bam! You have egg on your face.

I don't think I've ever needed a day to end on a high note as much as I did then. Obviously, the morning was crap, and it kind of stayed that way until the evening. I was bombarded with calls and messages from my family and friends. Someone once said that good news travels fast. I say that it doesn't travel nearly as fast as bad news. Like I had anticipated, it was Braden who first reached out to me. My younger brother keeps a close tab on hockey on social media, so it was inevitable for him to see the video, and ultimately, share it with the rest of the family.

Harlow, are you okay? He had texted me.

Yeah, I am now. I replied.

Okay. Mom and dad may need some more convincing.

Of course you told them.

And of course, he was right about their reaction. First, my mom texted me. Then she called me because she wanted to hear it in my voice that I was okay. Halfway through our call, she made me FaceTime her, because then she also wanted to see it in face that I was okay. Seeing my parents' concerned expressions tilted towards each other on my phone screen was probably up there with the hardest parts of that day.

Within the hour of leaving the Maille Arena, I had heard from my older sister Serena, my friends, and even Dr. Wennberg. Scar had heard from Keith, and I think Adam called my professor, but Jules had seen the video on YouTube of all places.

Toronto hockey is a weird thing, man. 99.5% of the world doesn't know enough about it to give a damn, and yet it's the world to 99.5% of Toronto. It's hard to keep a healthy perspective on the whole spectacle where you're under such an irrelevant microscope.

When Dr. Wennberg emailed me, she gave me permission to take the day off from work. Truthfully, I don't think I would have been able to work anyways, but it certainly helped with the guilt that often comes with taking a weekday off to have her support. I was in desperate need of a shower and a nap when I stepped into my apartment.

Angelo had some training sessions that afternoon, so he stayed back at the arena. I had thought I was going to spend the afternoon by myself until Jules, Elise, and Rebecca showed up with snacks. I came out of the bathroom with my wet hair in a topknot and my body in my oldest sweats to find them getting cozy in the living room. Jules was lighting my favourite candle and Elise was scrolling through Netflix.

"What are you three doing here?" I asked. Jules had left the apartment around the same time I did that morning.

Rebecca held out the opened bag of sour candies. I took a cherry shaped clump of dyed sugar.

"Just felt like having a chill afternoon," Rebecca shrugged.

Obviously. I'm sure it had nothing to do with how I shared my plans in the group chat a little before then to come home and rest.

"Thanks, you guys, but you really don't have to change your schedules for me."

"What do you mean?" Jules asked, wide-eyed.

"Would you like us to leave?" Elise said.

"No, definitely not."

I ate candy and watched reality TV that's more entertaining than I usually give it credit for that afternoon. When I began to nod off during the fourth episode, Jules placed another blanket over my feet and my friends quietly left me alone.