Chapter Twelve

Angelo blinks twice before looking down at me from underneath his dark, thick lashes. The wariness in my tone has caught him off guard.

"Yeah," he says after a long beat of silence. "I know a place we can talk."

"Thanks."

I follow where Angelo leads, but I doubt I'll be satisfied with our destination. Unless we board a plane and end up somewhere on the other side of the world, I worry we won't have complete privacy. That's why I don't dare say a word until Angelo has opened the door after fiddling with it to see if it was unlocked.

"Is here okay?" He asks me over his shoulder.

"What is this room, exactly?" I say as I cross the threshold.

Angelo shrugs. "Just a small meeting room, I guess. Not sure exactly, to be honest."

I look around the small space. "Does it have a camera?"

"What the hell, Harlow?" he laughs. "Do you plan on stripping down?"

He's lucky that I've already shut the door.

"Would you keep your voice down?" I hiss.

The amusement in his eyes dulls when he hears the not-so-slight edge of panic in my voice. Angelo closes the distance between us and places his large hands on my narrow shoulders.

"Har, take a breather."

I tilt my neck to release some of the tension that's been building since I stepped onto the elevator over a half hour ago.

"No. To answer your question, I don't plan on getting naked with you."

Angelo lightly squeezes my shoulders and I force my eyes to meet his.

"In fact, that's what I want to talk to you about," I continue.

"I figured as much. Come on, take a seat."

I slip my bag from off my shoulder and place it on the small table next to my armchair. Angelo sits on the edge of the chair next to mine, resting his elbows on his massive thighs. He's looking at me expectantly, but I have no fucking clue where to start.

Hey, thanks for eating me out—I had a blast—but it can't happen again.

"So—"

"About—"

"Sorry," he says. "You go, Harlow."

I gather my hair at the nape of my neck and twist it—a nervous habit, clearly. My eyes shut as I pull my bottom lip between my teeth.
"Hey," Angelo's voice cuts the silence. "Har, you can tell me anything."

Those words give me a much needed jolt of confidence. I look him dead in the eye.

"I think we both know that what happened this past weekend can't happen again."

"Do we both know that?"

Ugh, pain shoots sharply in between my eyebrows. The origin of a stress-induced headache.

"Angelo, please don't make this harder than it needs to be. Listen to me." I study his face and wait for his nod. Fuck, he's hot. "I'm going to tell you right now what happened. We've been attracted to each other for a bit—"

"Pretty much since the moment we met," Angelo interrupts.

My stomach flips.

"Fine. Maybe a bit longer than 'a bit.' But anyways, on Sunday, in a moment of passionate confusion, we made a mistake."

Hurt flashes across Angelo's features and the sight makes my own chest ache.

"We hooked up, and we shouldn't have."