Chapter Eight

We dodge bodies as we zig-zag through the main floor of JT's house. Well, Scar zigs, and I zag, because I have no idea where she's leading me. She's silent as she pulls me, but the tenseness in her grip speaks for her. She's dying to get to a quiet place where we can chat. Scar seems to be satisfied with a room at the back of the house, with bay windows that reveal the frost-covered backyard. A cardinal has stopped by the wooden bird house. The scene resembles a holiday card.

"What the hell was that back there?"

I'm still looking out the damn window. I make no acknowledge of Scar's question.

"Isn't this a pretty view?"

"Harlow."

"Scarlett."

She scoffs. "Hey, don't full name me! You're the one being naughty, breaking all the rules."

Now that gets my attention. I spin towards Scar.

"No, no," I assure her. "No rules have been broken!"

Yet.

"Are you sure? I mean, Harlow, seriously, what is going on between you and Angelo?"

Her voice is a tad too loud for my liking and my stomach tightens with anxiety.

"Scar, I am being serious, nothing has happened."

She assesses my face before she nods slowly.

"Okay."

"Okay?"

Scar lifts one delicate shoulder in a shrug. "I have to be honest; it doesn't look like nothing to Keith and me. Both of us sense something between the two of you. And that's saying something, because Keith usually has the social awareness of a squirrel."

"I don't get that metaphor."

"Ah, that's so not the point, and you know it!"

I throw her a bone.

"I don't know, okay? I'm definitely attracted to Angelo, but that's not exactly a surprise. I mean, the entire city of Toronto, men and women, is probably in love with the guy. He just...gives me butterflies, that's all. But like you said, nothing can happen, and luckily, nothing has happened."

I mean what I said. Nothing can happen. Angelo's words flash through my mind. What if we had met under different circumstances? Then what would have happened?

"I'm sorry you're in this situation," Scar says as she walks toward the window. "Because for what it's worth, I think you and Ang could be good together. And I know we just met, but I care about you and consider you a friend. You also probably know by now that I'd run through a wall for Angelo. He's one of Keith's best friends. I'd hate to see either of you get hurt."

I join her beside the window and lightly bump my shoulder against hers.

"Thanks, Scar, I appreciate that."

It's touching the way Scar cares for Angelo. It assures me he's a good guy. None of Jules, Rebecca, or Elise liked Stephen, and that was the last time I ignore friends' intuition when it comes to my love life. Sometimes our own perspective is too warped to actually know what's good for us.

"What's going through your head right now? You look deep in thought."

"I can't," I shake my head. "I just can't. Scar, forget about getting hurt if we try and things don't work out. I'd be violating serious rules. I may never be able to work in my field again."

And part of me knows that Angelo would face consequences as well, but a bigger part of me knows that sexism exists and that his penalty probably wouldn't be more than a slap in the hand. I'd lose it all and he'd lost almost nothing.