𝐱𝐢.

𝐀𝐜𝐭 𝐈𝐈

It had been a few weeks since I last saw Tewkesbury. We had been exchanging letters with each other and I have gotten to know him more. He's clever, charming, witty, and protective.

He's quite the thinker. He has amazing ideas for the House of Lords which I can only assume his parents must be proud of. Of course, he is not in the House of Lords but his father is preparing him.

I was currently writing him a letter about meeting again sometime soon. Preferably somewhere no one could recognize us.

I heard a knock on the door and tried to finish up my writing. The person knocked again, not even three seconds later.

"Alright, I'm going," I called out, placing down my quill. I didn't know who was at the door, but whoever it was wasn't going to enter most likely so I wasn't worried.

I headed for the door and opened it to be surprised at who was there.

"Enola," I said. "What are you doing here?" I asked her, quickly looking inside my room and then back at her.

"Am I not allowed to here?" She asked.

"No, it was just non-expectant, that's all." I replied, telling the truth. I couldn't let her see my letter.

"Can I come in?" She asked.

"No!" I said rather quickly. "I mean- it's a mess, do you really want to come in?" I made an excuse.

"[n/n], you never mind when I enter your room when it's a mess." She crossed her arms.

"Fine," I opened the door for her to enter. I quickly rushed to my writing desk and hid the letter behind my back.

"So, what brings you here?" I spoke up, asking her.

"I haven't seen you in two weeks! I just wanted to visit you. Why? We're you going to meet up with somebody?" She inquired.

"No, of course not," I answered. "I was just finishing up writing."

"Oh, what were you writing?"

"You're asking a lot of questions, don't you think?" I asked. I saw Enola narrow her eyes on me, growing suspicious.

"Is it a letter to Mateo?" She asked, walking closer to me. What?

"What?" I said, caught off guard. "No. I would never unless he wrote-" I didn't get to finish my sentence though as Enola snatched the letter from behind me.

"No!" I said trying to get the paper back. But it was too late, Enola read the name and her mood immediately shifted.

"How long has this been going on?" Enola looked up.

I looked down at the ground, not finding the courage to look at her. "Almost two months," I whispered.

"[Y/N]! Two months!?" She yelled. I felt like a child getting scolded. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I thought you would be mad at me." I responded her, still not looking up.

"I'm madder at the fact you didn't tell me sooner." She answered. "When has this started?" She interrogated me.

"Since the ball," I said, carefully looking up to see her.

"He was there? I thought that was just a rumor." She said, pacing around the room. "Wait, was his coat the one you had that night?" She pieced together.

I nodded my head in response.

"This is not good," She said. "Why would you do this?" She demanded.

"It's already bad enough doing it behind my family's back. Yelling at me is making me feel worse."

"You don't even know him!" She yelled.

"I'm beginning to know Enola," I tried to explain to her. "I told him to start as friends. I didn't know what else to do. He was so persistent."

"You know why he was persistent?" She asked harshly. "Because he wants something out of you."

"I thought that too," I told her. "You don't realize that I do think about the consequences too. I told him so many times that our families hated each other and you know what he did Enola? He kneeled in front of me and asked me to give him a chance, not his family." I saw Enola's eyes widen. "And so I did. No one has ever done anything like that for me." 

"Mateo would do anything f-"

"Mateo is not the one I want!" I exclaimed angrily. Not at her. But I cannot love Mateo the way people want me to love him. "I cannot love him. I have tried many times, but he is not the one I want." Enola stayed silent for a moment

"And is Tewkesbury who you want?" She asked carefully.

I stayed quiet. I didn't know if he truly was the one I wanted. I wouldn't waste my time if I didn't want something with him.

"I don't know who I want. But one thing for sure is I want to freely choose who I want to marry. I don't want my life to be decided by my family or anyone else. I don't even want to get married right now. That's what I want. Time. For myself and see where this goes with Tewkesbury."

"I'm sorry I sounded like I was against it. I just want to make sure you're safe [n/n]." She hugged me from behind, laying her head on my shoulder. "I know you wouldn't waste your time if you didn't find a meaning to being with him."

"I know 'Nola," I laid my head on top of hers.

"I'll support you no matter what," She said. I smiled at her statement. "But should he ever break your heart, he will never get to see daylight again," Enola said. I laughed at her, knowing she was joking but serious at the same time.

HAPPY ENOLA HOLMES 2 DAY
i wanted to give you guys this
chapter as a little gift!

<33