𝐱𝐯.

It had been a few days since I went to Mr. Theodore's, the incident between Melanie, and almost... whatever happened with Tewkesbury.

I couldn't stop thinking about it. It was infuriating. I hated that he had that effect on me. I was better than this. I am better than this.

"You've been spending an awful amount of time with Tewkesbury," Enola spoke up, making me look up at her, finishing my letter.

I had invited Enola over since Mateo was soon to return. My family, more specifically Wyatt, is persisting to get to know him more intimately. Not my father though, he reminds me that all I need is to say the word and he's gone. But I'm still willing to try.

I shrugged at her statement. "And is that an alarming thing?" I asked. She shook her head in response. She was finally accepting about Tewkesbury and me, not that we had something serious.

"I never said it was," She noted. "But it makes me wonder."

"About?" I inquired.

Before she could answer, there was a knock at the door. I walked to the door and opened it and a maid was standing there. She had a small velvet box in her hand.

"Ma'am," She curtsied before looking up at me. "This is from your cousin, Mr. Owen Anderton," She handed me the box.

I received the box from her, thanking her as she curtsied again before she left. I closed the door and made my way to Enola. That was odd. He never sends anything usually, just hidden letters by Tewkesbury but shown as 'Owen.'

"Who's that from?" Enola questioned.

"Owen apparently," I answered, sitting next to her. I opened the box and something was blocking the jewelry. A small note was in front of the piece. I took the piece of parchment and read it.

It will always be you.

I recognized that handwriting. This must have been Tewkesbury's gift. I handed the note to Enola before looking inside. Inside was a gold necklace with a heart shape as the pendant/outline. Inside the gold outline was a white opal its gem also shaped like a heart.

" 'It will always be you'?" Enola read aloud. "What is he on about?" She asked. I took the necklace from the box and held it in my hand.

"It's not from Owen," I answered loudly. "I know that handwriting. It's from Tewkesbury." I turned to her. I realized it was the necklace I saw that Tewkesbury and Mr. Theodore had from that day.

I turned the necklace around and noticed the engraving of our initials. T.B. and [F/I].A. I found myself starting to smile. No one had done anything like that for me.

"And yet, you still expect me to believe you don't want anything serious with him?" Enola asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I'd be his," I started. "If he asked." I wanted him to be mine. To show me how he looks at the world. He would give me the world, only if I asked.

"I don't believe that," She crossed her arms. I knew why she didn't believe me; because even if he did ask, I wouldn't allow it.

"Look, how many times do I have to say this? Our families despise each other. If they were to find out, we'd be separated." I tried justifying my reasons.

"And that's a bad thing how?" I took a deep breath before speaking.

"I'm starting to grow to like him," I told Enola. "He's an idiot, but I want him to be my idiot. At the same time, I know it's not possible. I know that if he wants something more, I'll deny him. I'll deny him for the sake of our safety- his safety." I corrected myself, looking down at the necklace, and fiddling with it as I explained.

"That sounds like someone who's in lo-"

"Don't even think about it," I looked up, quickly warding off her thought. "He is an amazing person but I'm not like him. I don't fall for someone easily. I usually get bored after a while because I don't want to get hurt. But it feels different with him."

"Go on," Enola encouraged.

"It's like..." I started, trying to find the right words. The best words to describe how it was when I was with him. "I can't explain it. But since I met him. He's warm, gentle, yet bold and confident at times." I said, slightly starting to smile. "He's there for me. He understands what I feel: being the daughter of one of the biggest families. I know we haven't seen each other for a long time, but I feel something, Enola." I explained to her. I could go on about him, and the thought of that scared me.

He's everything I want and everything I can't have. I know he's in front of me yet so far away from my reach. I know that the possibility of being his is impossible. Yet a part of me wants to be with him.

I've told him many secrets as has he. He knows how to make me laugh and how to tease me. Yet I bring a more sensible and reasonable side in him. It's a perfect balance between us.

"Sounds like you are falling though,"

"You and I both know it can never happen," I said, clenching the necklace in my hand. "And it never will," I said, handing the necklace to Enola.

Enola studied the necklace before standing up and going behind me. She placed the necklace in front of my neck and clasped it in the back. Once she clasped the necklace, she let it fall, making it fall into place.

"You may be right," Enola said from behind. "Or you
may be wrong." Enola sat next to me, wrapping an arm around my shoulder. "Either way, I know that my best friend is finding someone who will love and adore her through her thick and thins." She squeezed me into her like a side hug to which I smiled.

Knock, knock, knock.

"Again?" I asked, standing up and walking towards the door. I opened the door and wondered if the maid had forgotten to tell me something. "Have you forgotten-" I started before I stopped speaking.

I looked back to Enola and then back at the black-haired male in front of me. I quickly stiffened at the sight of him.

"Mateo," I acknowledged. He smiled at me. "What a surprise," I acted pleased to see him. "I thought you weren't arriving until tomorrow morning?"

"I was," He agreed. "But the train station was going to be closed tomorrow, so we decided to come today." He explained.

"Uhm- I do have a friend over if you do not mind," I politely explained, hoping he went away or kept his distance.

"No, of course not." Mateo answered. I heard foot steps behind me. I turned to see Enola walked up next to me and stood behind me.

"Ah, Miss Holmes, the person I was looking for," Mateo beamed brightly. Enola?

"Me?" She asked. Mateo nodded.

"Might I have a word with you?" He asked. I looked at Mateo and turned to Enola. Enola looked at me confused, I shrugged my shoulders, not knowing what he wanted. Enola nodded, stepping out and closing the door.